Scotts 42561x8A

Mower trouble? Are 2-cycle engines the bane of your existence?
bill25

Scotts 42561x8A

Post by bill25 »

Weirdest Tractor ever.

Couldn't find reverse:
Apparently, you tilt the gas pedal backwards to engage reverse. Super convenient since the bagger is in the way. And it doesn't say that anywhere.
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/556922 ... =14#manual

I can't find any info on the Scotts one, but this manual looks exactly like what I am dealing with.

Also as far as overheating:
WTF:
Caution - Always operate the engine with the throttle control in the Fast position or else overheating...
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/556922 ... =13#manual

This couldn't be less intuitive.
kevm14

Re: Scotts 42561x8A

Post by kevm14 »

Agrifab. Lead from a power equipment place I just went to with my father in law.

Also did you ever call Murray?
bill25

Post by bill25 »

The disaster continues... I got the thing to go forwards and backwards. The catch is I can only lift up the brake enough to inch forward or back and it instantly wants to stall so if I keep applying the brake to rev it up it will inch forwards and back. It is still overheating. It is running but currently not in any usable state. The thing has oil, and seemed cleaned unless I missed something, that I guess would have to be major for it to heat up this bad.

What did the guy say about this model? Anything good? The Agri-fab throwers say they are for Husqvarna, so maybe the two are compatible? The decks are definitely different in the way they attach. This one looks bolted on as opposed to the pins that hold the Husqvarna on. At least one of the 2 blades is seized. Not saying it can't be fixed but currently, not.

To recap, things this will definitely need "if" it can run and not stall or overheat:
To mow:
Deck belt
Deck or pulleys for the deck
Blades
Rebuild kit, doesn't include deck $156:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scotts-Murray-4 ... 2578da44ba

Battery - $50-$60
Potentially tires/fix-a-flat - $20
Probably needs:
fuel filter and fuel line - I might have that or at least the line. - 10-20
spark plug and wire - $5
bill25

Post by bill25 »

kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Now I wonder if it is actually overheating, or if one of the rings is stuck from sitting and that's oil smoke. Maybe put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinder (or Seafoam Deep Creep) and let it soak.

Carb still needs to be cleaned up.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Sprayed WD-40 and PB Blast into he cylinder via the spark plug hole until it came out the exhaust. Also manually turned the fan to hopefully move the piston. I guess I will give it a day or 2 and try to start it up again...

I also removed the deck which seems to be in less than good shape.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Removed, took apart and cleaned the carb. Replaced the fuel line and filter.

No change in situation, maybe the engine runs stronger but not a huge difference. Still stalled out when engaging drive or reverse.

Then I started thinking about safety switches. The existing ones seemed operational and not damaged or stuck. Then I decided to test the switch for the seat that I cut off...

Just as I suspected, It works opposite the Husqvarna. This seems like a poor design. THe Husqvarna needs the voltage to go across the wire, through the switch to operate. This Scotts requires the lack of voltage crossing to operate. This means that if the switch fails open, or if a wire is cut, non conductive or eaten by a mouse, the mower WILL operate. Great idea.

So I disconnected the two wires that were originally going to the switch and taped them up, disconnected and did a victory lap around the yard! The tractor goes forward and reverse.

Future plan: Figure out why it is still overheating/smoking out of the exhaust and intake and figure out if this thing accepts any snow throwing attachments.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

billgiacheri wrote:Then I started thinking about safety switches. The existing ones seemed operational and not damaged or stuck. Then I decided to test the switch for the seat that I cut off...
Yay I was right.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Based on a few threads that I read, if the carb was stuck open, gas could have gotten into the oil, causing it to burn and not have the original lubricating properties.
This could be causing the smoke.

I checked the oil and it did seem thin, so I changed the oil and oil filter.

It still smokes a little, but it looked like it was possibly just some thing burning on the exhaust this time. Overall it seemed better?

The carb pin shouldn't be sticking anymore after the cleaning. A lot of forums recommended a fuel cut off for while it is not running for this reason.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

I contacted the 800 number on the lawnmower for help determining if any snow throwers are compatible with this model.

I got a history lesson.

Murray went bankrupt in 2005 and was bought out by Briggs and Stratton. I had to call another number because this was built before that.

So, I told the customer service rep that I was having trouble finding info about this model online, and he let me know that it was because I wasn't looking in the right places. Then he gave me a link. I asked him if he could tell me what snow thrower was compatible with the lawn mower, and after a little searching, he didn't find anything.

He said probably MTD throwers, and to look under the Husqvarna and see if it has the same bolt pattern. Less help than I expected from a guy who seemed to know everything.

If that is the case, I am in luck because based on the life and quality of the Husqvarna, I would likely go with that in the future.