Super Tractor!

Mower trouble? Are 2-cycle engines the bane of your existence?
kevm14

Re: Super Tractor!

Post by kevm14 »

I'd agree except my experience with hydrostatic is that it doesn't coast.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

I don't know what you mean but I can say that without moving the speed position, the speed does change based on going up or down hill, which sounds like it will go slower or faster based on load. That is what I meant by it just having less work to do if the other is going very slightly faster. I am definitely not an expert but based on that it seems like there is some play vice a geared direct drive.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Yeah there probably is some. But in my experience it isn't much. That reminds me...when is the last time you checked the fluid level on either of yours?
bill25

Post by bill25 »

It is hard to say, because this could also be the engine not being consistent.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Transaxle, never on both. It isn't designed to be checked or changed, ever. Which sucks. You have to totally disconnect it from the lawnmower, take the drive pulley off, remove the caps, and turn the transaxle upside-down to drain it. From what I have read, the plugs aren't made to come out, and you have to get replacement plugs to reseal it. According to peerless, these are not supposed to be serviceable.

The problem that would mean that you need to do this is lack of power. My father-in-law brought up a good point for the Scotts. It doesn't have any problem going forward power wise (plowed 5-6 inches of snow), and reverse uses the same fluid.

None of this work is out of the question, and potentially should be done, but it is a massive job to do if it doesn't need to be done. From what I have looked up, there are 2 fluids, an 80 weight gear oil and I think 10W30 for the other. I don't have a problem with the Husqvarna, and I would rather mess with the adjustment on the foot controller to the transaxle before I would take this on with the Scotts.

I am not opposed to looking into it more to determine if it actually causes failures. So far, it sounds like it loses viscosity, causing a drop in power. There are also magnets in the transaxles to hold metal shavings that could be cleaned out but that would require opening, vice just draining upside-down and refilling.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Yeah, I guess that was my point - any motive issues I think would be either linkage or something in the transmission. It never sounded like the engine itself didn't make enough horsepower.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Replaced the starter solenoid on the Scotts. Definitely fixed that. I think I just need to adjust the choke linkage as it doesn't close when all the way up to the choke position. Pretty sure that is causing the hard start because I manually closed it and it started right up.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

This is what I need on the front of the Scotts!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Deere-Fro ... 2822!US!-1