Does the snow blower still run?

Mower trouble? Are 2-cycle engines the bane of your existence?
kevm14

Does the snow blower still run?

Post by kevm14 »

It didn't snow much last year. I don't remember when I last used the snow blower. But I randomly decided it would be a good idea to see if it fires up in advance of the pre-winter tuneup/servicing.

I started by checking the oil. It was perfect and even looked clean. I run M1 5W-30. Success.

Then I wheeled it out of the garage into the driveway (in dirt for the last time ever, as the driveway is going to be paved tomorrow).

Next I hit the priming bulb 3 times. Set the throttle to about half, and give it full choke.

One pull of the cord and it instantly fired up, no kidding.

The secret? Not much of a secret really. I use Stabil in every tank, because each time I fill up my gas cans, they always start off with Stabil from the beginning. Never had an issue doing this. No need to drain the carb, or run the engine out of gas - none of that.

As it gets closer to winter I will have to change the oil, check the plug, grease what needs greasing and adjust the skids and blade for asphalt.

The generator is probably due for a test run...
kevm14

Re: Does the snow blower still run?

Post by kevm14 »

Serviced the snow blower today.

- Changed oil (M1 5W-30 again)
- Lubricated chain drives with oil
- Greased auger shaft
- Reset blade and skid shoe height for smooth driveway
- Checked spark plug

The plug is an NGK and has some kind of forked center electrode. It looked textbook perfect. Tan, zero oil or other crap. Nice. So I put it back in again.

After everything was back together, I gave it a pull. Uh oh. I gave it another pull. And another. Uhhh...great.

I worked at it for a while and then....gah, that's right, I forgot to put the plug wire back on. I did that and it started on one pull (of course).

Ready for winter, I think. I will set the tire pressure just before the first snow.
kevm14

Re: Does the snow blower still run?

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote:It didn't snow much last year. I don't remember when I last used the snow blower. But I randomly decided it would be a good idea to see if it fires up in advance of the pre-winter tuneup/servicing.

I started by checking the oil. It was perfect and even looked clean. I run M1 5W-30. Success.

Then I wheeled it out of the garage into the driveway (in dirt for the last time ever, as the driveway is going to be paved tomorrow).

Next I hit the priming bulb 3 times. Set the throttle to about half, and give it full choke.

One pull of the cord and it instantly fired up, no kidding.

The secret? Not much of a secret really. I use Stabil in every tank, because each time I fill up my gas cans, they always start off with Stabil from the beginning. Never had an issue doing this. No need to drain the carb, or run the engine out of gas - none of that.
I just did exactly this again. Order of operations:
- Gas left in it from last time I used it. Maybe March?
- Checked oil. Oil good.
- Primed 3 times
- Full choke
- 1/4 throttle or so

One pull and it fired right up as usual.

I let it warm up and then changed the oil with M1 5W-30. I should probably check the plug but it is probably perfect. Inflated the tires to 17 psi. Need to grease the auger and maybe service the chain stuff underneath. Otherwise ready to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibn3S6A ... e=youtu.be