Snow blower thoughts

Mower trouble? Are 2-cycle engines the bane of your existence?
kevm14

Re: Snow blower thoughts

Post by kevm14 »

I probably could have sat this storm out. The temps were too warm so we got a tiny amount of snow and then rain. Just as well, because it would have probably been 12-18" if it was snow.

But I really needed to do the end of the driveway because tonight is going down to single digits. And while I was doing that, I did a large section of the driveway just to see how it did. And it did well! It threw that slush just about as far as it used to throw regular snow. The end of the driveway I had to do on speed 3 but for the driveway itself, I did on speed 6.

This is very encouraging. Maybe I can keep this machine yet...

The way this season is working out I am glad I didn't rush to buy any equipment (tractor or walk-behind). Of course, this is the season to buy stuff since a lot takes a while to move given the delayed onset of snow this year...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

https://nh.craigslist.org/tls/d/manches ... 67056.html

This is probably on the value line enough for me to take a chance with a Tecumseh. Seems like a decent machine for the money, and 13hp is about as high as I've seen the 32" machines. Plus it has that patented Toro "power shift" thing which moves the drive axle forward or back, to shift the weight balance and help drive the auger down to the ground instead of riding up on snow/ice or whatever. I'd use that.
Monster Toro snowblower 13 HP - $450

make / manufacturer: Toro
model name / number: Powershift 13/32
2006 Toro Powershift 13 HP , 32 in . This thing is a snow throwing BEAST ! ! In fantastic shape , runs like a top starts first pull every time . Brand new auger bearing and adjustment last season ( $220 ) . This was Toro's largest top o line blower and was $2400 new . New one today is $2700 !!! Powershift feature lets the wheel housing move back 8 in to focus the weight of the machine foreword to scrape icy , heavy snow right down to ground level without having to do a second pass. Winter season is not over and last year we got most of our snow in March so come check her out and you could end up with a driveway clearing beast. I screen all my calls , so please leave a message and I will call you right back. No text messages or emails , as to they will never be looked at just deleted. So please just call if your serious . Cash in hand only . Danny @ show contact info
00y0y_8aZNSemi1Bu_1200x900.jpg
00B0B_dJ9RQ3RyBt9_1200x900.jpg
00Q0Q_75zC1hyFxxh_1200x900.jpg
Even if I don't buy this, and I probably won't, it does serve as pretty good evidence that I should NOT pay $1000 for a good 32" machine. Or maybe even $800. Granted a Briggs machine is worth more.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Used my machine in some pretty heavy snow. It was like...snow then some rain, so a good 5-6" with the bottom inch being water. A pretty miserable job for most 2 stage machines, especially with impeller-housing clearance. And my rubber flaps did improve the performance of the machine. Hard to tell for sure without a before/after, but it never clogged, and did throw stuff 10-15 feet. I did have to do that thing where I go twice over a swath in front of my garage doors. I had to throw all the snow on the far side near the hill first. Then go back along the garage and throw that to the newly cleared area. Then go back and throw it the rest of the way to the hill. This is effectively increases the size of my driveway from 4,000 square feet to something larger, at least for the area I have to go over twice. I'd estimate that area is 15x30 feet or so another 450 sq feet, call it 4,500 total.

As before, this machine could benefit from more horsepower and more traction. The 26" thing isn't really the issue. All it could handle was about a 1/2 pass (so 13") at speed 2 in the worst stuff. It was power limited. If this same machine just had a 12hp engine on top of it (extra weight and power) it would probably be a lot more effective. A third rotating stage at the front could also help get wet snow into the augers. I am probably not going to hotrod this machine but these notes help refine my requirements should I upgrade someday.

This goes back to my lawn tractor stuff. The only reason I would want a wider thrower for my lawn tractor is to give more tire clearance for the initial pass. Otherwise, I think the wider swath would be more of a liability (decreased maneuverability and weight on the front end).

Having a wider width can help speed things along in lighter snows but I never mind those jobs and don't need to optimize performance in those conditions, since it is already acceptable. That said, I wouldn't want any narrower than 26". I could probably do 28 or even 30 at most. But I think 32" is barking up the wrong tree, provided there are beefier options in the narrower classes. And I think there are.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

My exact machine.
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/grd/d ... 99447.html

Seems overpriced and the condition of mine has declined somewhat through my own use.

$499 seems steep especially as a $100 discount. But I did estimate before that it was worth a solid $350-400. And this one does look really clean.