Simplicity Disaster

Mower trouble? Are 2-cycle engines the bane of your existence?
kevm14

Re: Simplicity Disaster

Post by kevm14 »

At least this is moving in the right direction.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Checked oil - 8 days later, same. That's good.
Started it, same as last week, 2-3 seconds and it started right up.

Plan forward:
Check oil in another week to make sure it is still good.
If it is still good, I will top off and adjust the carb. Then it should be done.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Oil was good yesterday, so I added 1/2 quart. It is slightly above hatch marks.

Attempted to adjust the carb today, but probably not done...

I only attempted to adjust the idle fuel adjusting needle. I probably do need to adjust the idle speed adjusting screw as it seemed to idle a little high - closer to 1300-1400 RPM.

I did adjust the idle needle a little better, and it didn't stall when put to the lowest speed. There seems to be some play where the lever goes down but after about 2/3 of the way down, it doesn't seem to change anything physically on the carb via linkage.

There is a little delay between the throttle being pushed up and the actual surge. I could probably turn the needle out a little. I was surprised about how many turns there were between being too lean and rich. Seemed like a lot, and the needle needed to be pretty far out to actually cause the rich problem. I was a little worried the needle was going to fall out.

To be continued.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Regarding the richness, the colder the ambient temp, and the colder the general temp of the engine, the more fuel it will require in general (this is true of all engines). Setting in the 50s is not a bad way to go because this is halfway between 0 and 100, probably the two extreme ends of usage. 1300-1400 may not be too big of a deal but it would be nice to see if 1300-1400 indicated is actually accurate.