Fridge died

There is plenty to go wrong here, but you can repair it
kevm14

Re: Fridge died

Post by kevm14 »

For future reference, model number: LFHB2751TF5

Water filter number: EPTWFU01

It finally says order water filter. That's way better life than I was getting on the old fridge. Water still tastes just as good as October.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:54 pm I finally got a chance to go to Lowe's today to buy the fridge warranty. While I was waiting for someone, I browsed the refrigerator section again and looked at the $200 more expensive Gallery version of what I bought and also the one I bought. Right away I noticed that the one I bought was down to $1,399 or another $100 off. Wow. So when an appliance person came over I said I wanted to buy the warranty but that I noticed the lower price. Of course they refund the difference since it dropped within 30 days of purchase. So....I got my 5 year warranty for $190-$100 back. This was a pretty amazing set of circumstances. This effectively makes the warranty $90 for 5 years, a no-brainer. I feel pretty good about that. I suspect this model is at the end of its life but I don't foresee that causing any issues. It should mean that whatever happens to these is already well documented and any fixes possible should be pretty easy to find.
The water filter status changed to "Order" from "Good." It's been just a little over 3 months. In fact, I think I can start to taste the filter getting to the end of its life. It lasted quite a bit longer than the filters were lasting on my old fridge, even though they are rated for 6 months and 200 gallons. My water tastes alright out of the tap but better with the filter. But when the filter fills up with sediment or whatever, it actually makes the water taste worse than tap water since everything starts to concentrate, if that makes sense.

I did a little research on Amazon and I think I am just going to get OEM filters and not bother with generics. Lowes price for the Frigidaire filters is $50. On Amazon it is $38.78. Aftermarket ones are in the $21 range/each as a 2 or 3 pack usually.

Then I remembered that one of the benefits of the warranty I bought is 50% off consumable supplies, which for this refrigerator means water filter.
PREMIUM PROTECTION PLAN BENEFITS
In addition to parts and labor, power surge protection and Fix It or Replace It, this plan includes the
following premium benefits:

Payback Reward
If you don’t use the plan for a service call before expiration, we'll give you 30% of
the plan price back. You have 60 days after your plan expires to request this
benefit.

Keep It Running Reward
Get 50% back on the items that keep your product running, like water filters, lines
and hoses, rinse aids, cooktop cleaners and more ($100 maximum per 12
months).

Restock Your Food Reward
Get up to $300 per incident of food loss due to a faulty refrigerator or freezer.

Reinstallation Labor
We’ll help pay to get your appliance hooked back up. This benefit starts after the
limited manufacturer’s warranty ends.

Repair Quick™
We'll fix it in 14 days or provide you a one-time payment of $50. Excludes
refrigerators and freezers. This benefit starts after the limited manufacturer’s
warranty ends.
I have to call to initiate the reimbursement claim but it wasn't too hard and they are open 7 days a week 8am to 8pm so that's pretty reasonable. With the max benefit at $100/yr, that would be exactly 4 filters per year at $50/ea, 50% back. If we consider that I paid full price for the warranty ($190, and not account for the $100 price guarantee discount I got when I bought the warranty), and if you compare to the Amazon price, that means this warranty pays for itself (if I use OEM filters, which I think are the best) in about 3.5 years, after which it actually saves me money ($82.68) until the 5 year mark, compared to if I didn't buy the warranty. Plus 30% back from that $190 (another $57) if I don't file a repair claim (the supplies reimbursement claim does not count, I asked). So buying the warranty could conceivably save me $139.68 over 5 years if I don't file a claim. If I do, then it saves the $82.68 plus the repair costs saved. Pretty surprising math for a warranty, no?

Also I changed the filter and the water tastes really good again.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Slight miscalculation on my end. Well maybe not a miscalculation per se...

The discount on the water filter came in the form of a Lowe's gift card. Assuming it doesn't expire I can probably make this work.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I have had success with my manual defrost technique but that seems to have ended. Last night the ice maker bucket was almost empty. So I shut off the ice maker, pulled the tray out, dumped it and ran like 3 manual defrost cycles in a row or close to it.

Put the bucket back before going to bed, turned the ice maker on, and there was SOME ice this morning though I think not the volume I would expect. So it's clearly experiencing the classic issues that the internet warned me about (and I think, to a great extent, afflicts all ice makers that are installed in the refrigerator compartment).

Anyway, my 1 year factory warranty expires in Oct and with COVID I wanted to get the ball rolling. I want to avoid using my Lowes extended warranty so I can keep a clean slate on that and qualify for that money back policy.

Sounds like there will be a service call on Thursday by Wickford Appliance. Ironically this is the one appliance I did not buy from Wickford but I guess they are a factory authorized service center.

What I am expecting is that they will install the updated/additional seals that better insulate the ice maker box from the refrigerator. I believe that's the basic design issue here. Fortunately I have not let it go to the point where everything is encased in a block of ice but I would credit my liberal use of manual defrost for that.

So I'll update this later this week. Hopefully this isn't too much of a circus and they can just do what they need to do the first time and not string me along with 5 other useless actions (and thus service calls) before providing the real fix.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Slight scheduling bug....it's still Wickford Appliance but not until August 14th. Whatever. It is making ice again anyway. I just want that seal kit installed unless something else is going on. Part of the issue is I was using a lot of ice, even though I think production had also gone down. I wouldn't need to use so much ice if the water output was just refrigerated. Still happy with the fridge though and the price was certainly right. According to my research, paying $2000, $2500 or even more would not make us immune to issues like this.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

A tech canceled so pushed again like 2 weeks. Between this cancelation and my interaction with Wickford Appliance, I may have convinced them to order the seal kit...that would be something.

Also bought 2 more filters and submitted another claim for $50. I can make a claim again on Feb 3, 2021, as this uses up my annual $100 reimbursement. For future Kevin, all the info is in e-mail...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Tech came from Wickford Appliance. I have to say, both Wickford Appliance sales and now service has been A+, even though this is like the only appliance I DIDN'T buy from them.

Anyway, it turns out my ice maker already had the seal kit installed from the factory so they did in fact improve it. The whole defrost thing may have been in my head but he did replace the ice maker unit itself which I guess is still a known issue. He inspected the rest of it and didn't see any of the common issues like the water line freezing, or ice dripping down the back of the unit. So he thinks I'm good.

I also asked about the freezer drawer. The upper drawer slightly drags and it makes a clicking sound which is highly annoying. He realized the tray was installed the wrong way and flipped it. Now it seems good. Hilarious. So that was a success.

I also asked him about my dishwasher (Bosch) and oven w/ induction cooktop. He said both are solid with no design issues/early failures that he's seen. He's been doing this since ~2005 with Rent a Center and switched to Wickford Appliance about 2 years ago and said he's so much happier there, fwiw. Anyway, good stuff.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

My basement fridge (which is the one that came with the house before I switched to Bryan's old side by side) has now died. Smelled something off in the basement. Didn't take me long to check the fridge and yep, it's totally warm. Sucks!!

I unplugged it for a bit and it seems like the compressor is actually locked up. I think that's about all she wrote. What I will do is at some point I will pull off the rear cover and check the coil. I bet it is caked with crap, due to its location. If so I would bet that contributed. I'll have to make a note to clean that regularly. I had been thinking about it but failed to take action. I have an air compressor right in the garage.

So I guess we will replace it. Maybe just with another inexpensive freezer on top unit that fits under the basement stairs. I believe it's on the order of 20 years old. Maybe slightly less? I can check.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Experience and a desire to make a quick decision to get this off my plate has resulted in a purchase already.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Garage-Read ... 1001431370

Seemed to be the best combination of good size, reliability (high ratings and GE is good in general) and price at $818. I could have paid $700 for an inferior LG or something but this seemed to make sense to me. The best part is it will come in about 2 weeks which works perfectly. I scheduled the old fridge to be hauled away next Friday and should receive $50 even.

Also, Lowes came through again for me on a refrigerator. Wickford Appliance couldn't seem to even tell me when they'd get this model again. Home Depot was similar. Lowes said there was some distribution center that had like 122 white ones (I preferred black but I don't care for a basement fridge). They were all the same sale price but availability made the difference. No warranty on this. A freezer on top unit with no ice maker from the top refrigerator brand should be the best you can possibly do for refrigerator reliability.