Ranger exhaust pipe hanging

Manifolds to tailpipes, this can be quite exhausting
kevm14

Ranger exhaust pipe hanging

Post by kevm14 »

Not that exciting but the hanger that is welded to the tail pipe rusted off, so the pipe is not supported at the rear of the truck. As a result, the pipe hangs down 4-6 inches. The rubber mount is still there so I am sure I can fashion something up. This was the aluminized exhaust catback that I bought from Napa back in early 2008 when I bought the truck. It's already past its life expectancy.
kevm14

Re: Ranger exhaust pipe hanging

Post by kevm14 »

An illustration may help explain. The welded on hanger is long gone. In its place is a nice stamp-sized hole.
S7302815.JPG
I am certain I could have at least rigged this up with a metallic solution. But I actually like the redneck engineering approach here. And when I say engineering, I mean I thought for a second about putting the zip ties directly on the pipe, which may still have been fine. But instead, I used the hose clamp as heat isolation. And 3 ties, for maximum strength.
S7302816.JPG
S7302817.JPG
S7302818.JPG
Total cost: $0. I've had the bucket of zip ties for years, so that doesn't count. And the hose clamp was a leftover from fooling around with the flex pipe on the Maxima.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

So this failed. The pipe just continued rusting (shocking). Now I've resorted to a coat hanger around the remainder of the pipe, clamped in place to the pipe. No pics yet...

This should get me to whenever I feel like doing another cat back. The only cat back I've ever put on this thing was when I first bought it in 2008. I used the standard Napa aluminized kit and it lasted this long. Even passed inspection in early 2014 (due again in Feb 2016). That is a perfectly reasonable service life.

Maybe I should find a nice fart can exhaust like I did on the Maxima.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

My sad looking repair.
S7302905.JPG
Adam

Post by Adam »

You could try adapting this:
http://www.amazon.com/Flowmaster-17159- ... B000QJH2C4
Fits the V6 extended cab but might be close enough.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I would only do something like that if it was cheaper than the aluminized replacement.

Speaking of, let me check Napa's website.

Ugh, they don't have a cat-back as such. Have to build it.

Since Napa is no longer less than a mile from my house, perhaps Rockauto will be the supplier.

Muffler and tailpipe: $104
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinf ... 503&jpid=0

Code: Select all

WALKER Part # 17464     Dynomax Super Turbo Single System; Bend Type: Mandrel; Kit Contents: Tail Pipe, Tip, Clamps. Intermediate Pipe Required; Pipe Diameter: 2.000; Finish: Aluminized
Intermediate Pipe required
Wow, Dynomax Super Turbo. That's cool.

Intermediate pipe: $18
Exhaust system view w/ P/Ns: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinf ... 504&jpid=0

I may also need a donut gasket, at $8. And/or a flat gasket at $1.64. And a bolt kit at $10.27. I guess I need to peek under the truck to see if the cat to intermediate pipe gasket is a donut or flat. It can't be both.

Min parts price: $122 + S&H
Max parts price: $140.27 + S&H

I paid around $140 at Napa for the whole cat-back in 2008, so this is good.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I ordered the stuff from Rockauto. Shipping was $30 between two places. Oh well.

I did get the Dynomax kit, which will be interesting. I look forward to 50 extra HP.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Did the exhaust this morning. Some highlights from removal:
- Just cut the thing off after the cat with a reciprocating saw. I remember doing this back in 2008 and it makes dropping the exhaust very simple on this truck. There is only one hanger (a dual unit) aft of the cat, and a single hanger aft of the axle.
- I really struggled with the intermediate pipe to cat flange bolts. In total, I used the following tools to get it off: impact, reciprocating saw, angle grinder with cutoff wheel, angle grinder with grinding wheel, and a punch.
- Not bad to clean off the old donut gasket from the cat flange

Highlights from install:
- I can confirm that the springs on the cat flange bolts do in fact hold the joint together and allow flex
- The muffler, a Dynomax Super Turbo, is the typical oval cross section, while the stock exhaust was more round. Because of this, I had to angle it to avoid hitting the exhaust (ironically the very issue that lead me to replace the rusting old exhaust)
- Either the muffler or the tailpipe should have been about 2 inches longer. The first time I clamped the tailpipe to the muffler outlet, I actually didn't get it in far enough and it just fell out while I did final adjustments. This required me to get out my exhaust pipe expander to re-open the muffler outlet so I could try to insert the tailpipe further into the muffler. Doing this I apparently broke a couple fingers on the expander but managed to get the job done.
- The tip, Dynomax says, is some kind of stainless, which is sweet. But just the tip.
WP_20150815_14_23_04_Pro.jpg
WP_20150815_14_23_12_Pro.jpg
WP_20150815_14_23_28_Pro.jpg
The instructions did say it is for all engines and all wheelbases. For the short 108" wheelbase, you cut a length off of the tailpipe. For the long 125" wheelbase you just get the longer intermediate pipe.

It sounds pretty good actually. Well I mean for what it is. It's nice to hear when the torque converter locks up in 4th. If I am not mistaken, there is actually a small power boost. I'd imagine that with 100hp, any increase is noticeable.

There is a small drone at around 1500rpm but that is not a common operating RPM so it's not really an issue.

Hopefully this one lasts another 7 years.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I just realized it took me 11 months to finally fix this properly. Ha