New Phone Suggestions

Non-car discussion, now for everyone
Adam

Re: New Phone Suggestions

Post by Adam »

I have an HTC phone, the 8x. Ed and Amanda own both the Evo 4G and the Evo 4G LTE. We have had some hardware issues, but most of them involve water.
dochielomn

Post by dochielomn »

So, FYI, I was at the Verizon store today just trying to look at the new HTC One M8 and the sales guy that I was talking to was telling me that Verizon now offers a no contract type of plan/policy and that rather than pay full price for the phone up front, they make it into 24 payments and just add that onto your bill and should you leave Verizon early, then they just charge you the money for the phone and that's all.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

You should compare 2 year costs across all carriers to really understand all costs.
dochielomn

Post by dochielomn »

Yeah, I'm not saying I'm now sticking with Verizon, just letting you know that it appears they're wising up a bit and going along with everyone else in allowing people to "not have a contract" anymore.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Right, but that depends on what they actually do with the pricing. There is no "standard charge" for phone subsidy.

Quick reminder:

On AT&T, it's $40 for the 2GB family share value bucket, then each unsubsidized/no-contract line is $25. $115/mo before tax/fees. Don't forget the 15% discount (on the $40 only) which saves $6, so $109/mo before tax/fees. That's for 3 smartphones (you buy yourself, and remember the Lumia 520 is cheap as hell for the parental units). Unlimited talk and text.

On T-Mobile, there is no data bucket. It's actually all unlimited and the data quoted is at the full LTE speed. They just throttle it down to a slow speed after you hit your cap. The smallest data bucket per line is now 1GB of LTE, so assuming 3 lines, with two of them @ 1GB each and your line @ 3GB of LTE, you're looking at $100/mo before tax/fees. But the 15% discount applies to the WHOLE BILL (thanks T-Mobile) so that's actually only $85/mo. Unlimited talk and text, plus all those other perks (wifi calling, texting international numbers, and free roaming in a bunch of countries). And this is way more data than AT&T. Cut your line down to 1GB of LTE and you save another $10 (or $8.50 with discount), which would be $76.50/mo.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

So I'm reading some reviews of the Icon.

Go here and select Reviews.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/devi ... ractTerm=2
The size is good, can't imagine comfortably using a larger screen device. I'm making it through the day on the battery. I listen to music about four hours, do a fair amount of texting and send/receive email from my synced mailboxes.
One of the huge surprises was there isn't a lot of bloatware on the phone, and unlike any other Verizon phone I've had, you can delete the programs you don't want.
Looking forward to the Windows Phone 8.1 update in a couple of months.
Removing that "carrier bloat" IS an exclusive feature of Windows Phone.

I'm going to skip reviews where they previously had a Windows Phone because that doesn't supply the needed perspective.
New to Windows phone? This is a great device to start. Operating system is fast and fluid. Display is bright and beautiful. Camera is one of the best I have ever seen
As a former Apple fan of multiple iterations of the iPhone; I decided to make the big switch 6 months ago to Windows OS. After purchasing a new Windows 8 laptop and very much enjoying the user experience, I looked into Windows Phone devices. I picked up a Nokia Lumia 928. I immediately liked the device, its Features, design, software, and performance were great. When Nokia announced the Icon, with cutting edge camera technology, latest Windows 8 Phone software, powerful hardware, and a Big Red exclusive, it was a natural evolution

The device is not just good, but spectacular. Blazingly fast; phenomenal screen; 20 MP PureView camera-that rivals most point and shoot devices; full day battery life; superior call quality; user friendly Windows OS with Live Tiles; loud clear amplified speaker; last but not least-high end build quality with sturdy materials.

Its great in the hand, pocket, and every day-every situations. Five days in, I've only become more fond of the Icon. Having a phone with the latest software versions, hardware, and user friendly interface, makes it that much more enjoyable. And Windows Phone 8.1 is on the way...only improving the device.
This is my first Windows phone. I was strictly an iOS user for years. I needed a change, Apple just wasn't cutting it for me anymore. So I decided to try out the Lumia Icon. I can't even begin to explain how in love with this phone I am. It's sleek design, the ease of use and fluidity of this phone more than make up for Windows Store lacking in the apps department.
Sure, Windows Store doesn't have nearly the amount of apps that Google Play and Apple offer, but honestly, as long as I've got my social media I'm golden. Apps have never been a big deal for me, so this was the least of my worries.
I have had experience with iPhone, Android, Blackberry and they each had their own issues.
So far my preference is the Nokia Icon and Windows 8 and here is why:
1. Having a similar user interface (UI) is definitely better. I don't care how easy the iPhone or Android systems are to use, it is still easier having a similar UI on all devices.
2. Office suite is included, albeit not as feature rich as the desktop program, which can cause some obstacles that are easily addressed by keeping the documents/spreadsheets not as complex.
3. The camera is truly superb, considering it is a phone and the Nokia photo apps are second to none. This alone makes the phone worthwhile.
To be clear, I went from an iPhone 4s to the Lumia Icon. I had been pretty unsatisfied with that phone for a while, but I was still nervous to take the jump to Windows Phone. But boy, was it worth it! This phone is SOLID running on a SOLID operating system (I'm sorry - the only apps that I couldn't carry over were games that I barely played anyways).

This phone is fast! All of the apps load up quickly! And speaking of apps.. this phone preinstalled with the Lumia Black update is equipped! You get all of the quality Nokia along with those inherent to windows. There was a bit of a learning curve switching over from iOS, but it didn't take long. Four days in and I feel like I never want to go back.
I have literally had every phone imaginable and often not for long because there was always something I didn't like about it. That is no longer the case. I would normally never get emotional over an electronic device of any kind but I absolutely LOVE my Icon.
I have had Android since its inception with the G1 and I've had every iPhone since the 3G. I will never go back. WP8 is incredibly smooth, just customizable enough to not be boring (unlike IOS, runs without a hitch unlike Android) and is simply beautiful on the phone.
I can't say enough about this phone. Every aspect of it is top notch. The OS is silky smooth and useful. Perfect size and weight. Best screen out there. Camera is flawless. Wireless charging is a godsend. If you can pry yourself away from the apple ecosystem, this is the best phone for you. It makes Androids look completely juvenile.
Leaving iOS I was ready for a change and chose a windows phone over Android for it's style. I was nervous leaving iOS, but am completely happy I did.
The Lumia Icon does not disappoint in style, function, speed, ease, and quality. The Windows App store is growing everyday, and I have found some quality substitutes for my go to Apple apps. Mainly, this phone is fun to use and intuitive. It is no heavier than my iPhone4 and so much prettier. And - it syncs with my Mac no problemo.
The icon is a great device. Coming from several years on android , what a refreshing change. Windows 8.1 is due to be released for the icon in a couple of months. That will make a good thing even better.
I get to evaluate devices for work so I have my hands on Apple products as well as Androids. Apple builds a fine device but it lacks features and is too small for my liking. I preferred Motorola over Samsung for my Androids because the Motorola's had a better build and far less bloatware.
I am board with Android so I figured I would try Windows Phone and so I got the Nokia Icon. Nokia Icon has been very smooth, responsive and fast! I do miss swiftkey but typing is better than iOS since the prediction is faster and more accurate.
Coming from a Galaxy S3, this phone looks great and feels substantial, a truly quality feel unlike the plastic feel I had with the Android. The screen is amazing, camera is incredible and it is so much easier to use. Initially I didn't like the look of the tiles but once I spent the time to organize my Start screen, it gives me all the info I need with the extra space the Icon's large screen provides. I don't miss my S3 or Android at all;
I had a Droid 2 then the iPhone 4s. I never loved either of them the way I love this phone. I was so afraid to leave one of the familiar operating systems but I was so drawn to the beauty of the windows platform especially the Nokia Icon. The first 24 hours I had a sinking feeling that I had made a bad decision, but once I figured out how to do everything I needed I was mad I didn't switch sooner. There are a few apps I have on my iPad that I can't get in the windows store yet, but really nothing I need. Its only been a few day but I don't think I would ever go back to android or IOS again. Its the best of both worlds really. The awesome hardware where everything works like IOS and the customization I loved with android.
I have had and iPhone and multiple Android phones. Honestly this phone by far has been my favorite to use. It is way easy to navigate and make changes to your home screen. I had the phone last 30 hours on a single charge. My GS4 would only last 6 to 8 hours and I was looking for a charger. Once you get into the phone and what it actually can do and how it operates is amazing. The screen is beautiful! The day after I got the phone I dropped it out of my truck, about a 4 foot drop onto asphalt and it didn't even get a scratch on it. I couldn’t believe it. My GS4 screen shattered from the same fall and that is why I got a new one. My friend has been trying to convert me to get one for a while. When I found out about the Icon coming out I decided to give it a try. Best phone I have purchased in 10 years.
I've owned many different brands of phones but this Nokia Icon has a build quality superior to all. It’s sturdier feeling then an iPhone 5s with a better screen and camera. The galaxy s4 feels flimsy and fragile. My S4 was so loaded up with garbage apps, it was slow after a week but not this Icon.
I just moved away from the Samsung S3, since it was giving me a world of issues. It was at a point where I had a hard time making phone calls. I was also tired of the Android platform, although it had a lot of apps, it was just bloated. I wanted to see how the Windows phone was, since I'd been with Android for a few years starting with the HTC Incredible. I have to say, I am very impressed with this new Nokia Icon so far. I don't use the camera that much, never have, but it is really nice. The shutter time is a bit slow, but just make sure you know that when you take a picture. The phone is really fast! I used to turn off and turn on my S3, and it would take at least 3-4 minutes before it booted and was ready to go. This phone, I turn it on and it comes on in less than 30 seconds. Minus the limited apps, of which I'm not a big app user anyway, I am overall very happy with this phone and Windows
There is no way I would ever go back to Android or Apple operating systems after using the Nokia Lumia Icon with Windows 8 and Nokia Black software (8.1 update is coming in April 2014 and addresses almost all user concerns). The performance, stability, speed and ease of use are second to none.
You do give up some apps that are widely available on other platforms, however, there are plenty of alternatives in the Windows Store and Nokia apps are unbelievably useful, as well as beautiful.
Make no mistake, this is a powerful device with quality hardware. When using the phone, I found that it's like flying - at great speed - over glass (smooth as silk). After using the Icon for a week it's never once lagged, frozen-up, or required a reboot. Windows OS is a completely lag-free, lightning fast user experience.
Android software is a clunky, unstable mess and this Nokia phone destroys it's competitors (2GB of RAM, Quad-core processor, 20 MP camera).
I switched to this phone as I want better enterprise connectivity but hate the Blackberry. I have been with Android from the very beginning and still like it, but its not perfect, my last phone was the Samsung Galaxy S4. My decision to buy this phone was after a Surface Pro 2 purchase a few months ago that replaced both a tablet and a laptop. Microsoft has finally done it! A very smooth and simple interface, this phone does not lag, takes the best pictures I have ever seen, and is very easy to use. It took me about 1 day to get use to it and now loving every minute. I am not an APP or Game fan, just wanted a good solid non-laggy phone for talk, text, browsing, and listening to music and watching movies. I just bought the wireless charging pads, one for home and one for work. I never need to plug in again!
I've owned three iPhones, a number of Android handsets, a fair share of Blackberrys and even a Microsoft Windows phone back when the eco system was finding its way. I even owned a Nokia 928, but only for two days before running back to an iPhone.

Enter the Icon. Bare in mind I've been in the military for over 20 years and have experienced really good tech and really awful tech and have been one of those technology "in-betweeners" watching the evolution of email, cell phones, social networking, etc. Bottom line, the Icon is the best phone I have ever owned. I like the iPhone for it's eco system (everything else I own is Apple). I like the Samsung use of TouchWiz, which you either love or hate. I like the super long batter life of the Blackberry and the no-frills down-to-business approach of its interface. The Nokia Icon is a whole different approach to user interface.

After using the phone for a week now, I can report that the eco system is not the same as Apple but is well compensated by what Nokia offers in its native apps. Nothing will ever compete with iTunes, for sure, but when's the last time you picked up your device and appreciated the fact that it was a solid phone first and a great do-it-all device second. The Nokia is built like a tank. The screen is better by far than any retina screen and easily read in any light with little eye strain. Even the auto brightness works. I've not had to adjust the brightness as it brightens or dims in relation to the environment and is spot on and easy to read without turning off the auto brightness feature. The battery easily lasts all day with mixed use. My Note 2 had a bigger battery, but it was also a bigger phone. The size of the Icon screen is, in my humble opinion, that perfect sweet spot of 5 inches. The OS is very fast with no noticeable lag and has little touches that I'm still discovering that make it just a more usable device. You'll see what I mean after using it for a few days. It doesn't have the drop down menu like the Android or Apple OS, but that function and a whole lot more is coming in the next few months with Windows Phone 8.1.
I had iPhones 3 & 4. Also Moto Droid Razr. I like the Lumia Icon better overall than my previous smart phones.
OS is very fast and smooth. I can bounce between applications while one the phone and never have any lag. I use my phone for conference calls all day and have not had any problems.

Camera takes great pictures. Audio is excellent. Sound quality of music is great. The screen is amazing! It is so bright and clear.
Native apps: Nokia music, music player, Nokia Here Maps and Drive are all so good. Email pop email is so much easier to use than either Droid or iOS. I have not needed to download apps to replace the native apps like I did on the Droid.

Additional apps. I use Skype, Pandora, SoundCloud, Kindle iheartradio, ESPN, WebEx. Weather. Etc. Not really missing anything I use from the app store. I'm not a gamer. I don't use a lot of gimmick apps so I can only say the Microsoft Store has what I use.
Battery - I use my phone all day. With the Droid Razr I would be dead by noon. Now I can make it to the end of the day.
Overall I love the phone and am really impressed with Windows Mobile. I fought it because I am generally not a Windows guy but it works for me. The Droid OS tended to lag and slow down as the phone aged
It just goes on and on and on.

How about customer satisfaction:

http://wmpoweruser.com/tag/customer-satisfaction/

Scroll down to read more.
dochielomn

Post by dochielomn »

Ok, so since I started this thread just about 2 yrs ago, I'll reboot it. My current phone, HTC One M8, is dying (well, mainly just the battery seems to not be holding a charge as well and since it's built in, I can't just simply replace it). So any recommendations out there for phones to investigate or something coming out in the near future that maybe if I hold out I'll be rewarded by?

One thing to note- I still have Verizon and probably planning on keeping it, so it would have to be something that Verizon supports.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Nexus something or other seems to be a good deal. Probably is on Verizon.
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:Nexus something or other seems to be a good deal. Probably is on Verizon.
Here:
http://forums.kevinallenmoore.com/viewt ... =25&t=1597