Panasonic TC-P60ST60 (i.e. the Samsung replacement)

Non-car discussion, now for everyone
kevm14

Re: Panasonic TC-P60ST60 (i.e. the Samsung replacement)

Post by kevm14 »

Here's how I got the generator out of the truck. Yes, it was in the truck since Friday until this afternoon.
WP_20171022_14_01_54_Pro.jpg
WP_20171022_14_02_00_Pro.jpg
It was even too heavy for Jamie to help me lift. This got it done but it is not convenient. Obviously any number of things could work but I don't have any of them (i.e. a chain fall, engine crane, etc.). A lift gate would also be handy but I don't need one otherwise. A good set of ramps may have worked but I am not positive about that...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

https://www.digitaltrends.com/tv-review ... 60-review/
There is no other TV on this planet that can get you so close to videophile nirvana for so little investment than Panasonic’s ST60 series plasma.
Over the past few months, we’ve enjoyed living with the best TVs 2013 has to offer. We started with Samsung’s spectacular F8500 plasma, followed that up with a double dip into Panasonic’s amazing ZT60 and VT60 plasmas, then tackled LG and Samsung’s flagship LED TV’s, the LA8600 and F8000.
The last must-see TV on our list this year was the Panasonic ST60 series. Given how good the step-up ZT60 and VT60 models were, and that the ST60 saves cash mostly by trimming all the stuff we don’t really want anyway, all it had to do was not screw something up royally and it was bound to earn our recognition as the best value in TV for 2013.
Not only did the ST60 not screw anything up, it exceeded our expectations. Read on to find out why we think the Panasonic ST60 series television is the must-buy TV for this year.
But if you ask us, the whole bezel-free thing is best left for OLED televisions, which can pull off the “floating window” appearance without also coming with the poor black levels, uneven picture and backlight blooming that plagues even the best LED-backlit LCD televisions. You can keep your LED TVs; we’ll stick with plasma for as long as it takes for OLED to come down out of the pricing stratosphere, thank you very much.
See that last part...it's like I went back in time and wrote this article. There's definitely a group of us that feel this way.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Wait...
Let’s first go over some of the features this TV does not have. It does not have a built-in camera (though you could add one for Skype video calls if you’d like) nor does it recognize gestures or voice commands.
Uh. Bill, where did you pull that quote from? I don't think it has a camera OR microphone. Bryan's Samsung did....so that's something. Cyber!
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Conclusion
Go buy this TV. If you want bragging rights, tell your friends that you just bought one of the best-rated televisions ever made. And if they ask why it was rated so well, you can tell them it’s because it was made for smart people who are keen to the laws of diminishing returns and know the best deal out there when they see it … and also read Digital Trends religiously (wink, wink).

As a reviewer, sometimes it’s easy to get caught up in the minutiae in an effort to make a determination about what makes one product better enough. In this case, the Panasonic ST60 made our decision easy. Let’s put it this way: If you’re looking for an attractive, reasonably-priced TV with the best possible picture quality and the least gimmicky stuff getting in the way, the ST60 is the best pick out there. Enjoy.
Well he sure bought the right TV at the time he was looking. Circa 2013 I assume.
Adam

Re: Samsung PN60E8000GF won't power on

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:lol

I didn't even think of that.
It also has all of those streaming things you want. They will even be supported in the future (unlike most in-TV streaming apps).
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

FINALLY hung my TV.

I wouldn't say I have made anything less ugly (yet) but I have hopefully gotten it somewhat out of harm's way.

I used this: https://www.harborfreight.com/large-til ... 61807.html

It may have been better to get an articulating mount but this seems fine. You do have to unmount the TV to adjust the wall angle which sucks but then you really should only have to adjust it once. Fortunately my visual estimate was pretty close. The reflection of my head is roughly in the center of the TV which means it is the correct angle to me.

I really hope I found studs. I spent a few hours trying to find them and did the best I could. I am not sure I did (I may have gotten one anyway. But with actual wood panel walls, I am not worried that much about it. It seems fairly secure.

There is one downside. The TV effectively got a bit smaller since it is about 2 feet further away now. I could easily do a 65" without even worrying about it. Probably a 70. For the record, my normal seating position is now about 15 feet from the TV.

According to this: http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/

For a 15 foot viewing distance, I'd need a minimum of an 85" screen to begin to see the benefit of 1080p and I could take that all the way to about 105". This chart also indicates that I shouldn't be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p at these distances. That is kind of depressing. On the other hand, it means everything looks pretty good - even ripped DVD movies.

In 4K, unless I change my room to sit much closer, I would need a minimum of a 125" screen and I don't get the full benefit of 4K until well over 140" (off the scale). Which also means everyone who went out and bought a 4K of, say, 50" and sits further than 5 feet from it, has just wasted their money (aside from HDR which is legit but not available from all sources, or even 4K movies).

So my TV is officially too small, which my eye confirms. I mean 1080p looks fantastic on it and according to the chart, the ideal viewing distance of a 60" TV with 1080p content is 8.5 to 10.5 feet. Said another way, if I put on some 1080p content, and get up from my normal seating position and walk toward the TV, my eyes will detect more and more visual resolution until I get to between 8.5 to 10.5 feet at which point it will start to look worse again (pixels).

I should mention one disclaimer. This assumes good quality source. If you get some compressed garbage from your cable company, that is different. But honestly, Netflix, Prime and even Youtube is very good. And so is broadcast ATSC which also looks great on this TV.

Side note #2: THX recommended viewing distance for my TV is 6 feet. And for my current 15 foot viewing distance, they recommend a 151" screen.
WP_20171228_14_11_01_Pro.jpg
WP_20171228_14_39_30_Pro.jpg
WP_20171228_13_03_52_Pro.jpg
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Amazon Prime Video app won't be supported on Sept 26, 2019. YouTube stopped a while ago but the app's poor performance made me abandon it a while back for my trusty 10 year old Win 7 HTPC (which is going out of support very soon, too). I guess I need to get some kind of appliance or modernize the HTPC...not sure.