Panasonic TC-P60ST60 (i.e. the Samsung replacement)

Non-car discussion, now for everyone
kevm14

Re: Samsung PN60E8000GF won't power on

Post by kevm14 »

https://newlondon.craigslist.org/ele/d/ ... 26361.html
Panasonic 60" Plasma TV (free Playstation 3 included) - $500 (new london)
https://www.cnet.com/products/panasonic ... 60/review/

Works great, moving and can't take with.
00H0H_2Gmj7Qtaw24_1200x900.jpg
00P0P_8t4SNCUhWbM_1200x900.jpg
I wrote:
I am interested in the TV but I don't need the PS3.
Would you consider a price reduction for just the TV?
I am in RI so not too far but I am looking to spend a lot less than $500.

-Kevin
He replied:
Sure man. What do you think is fair?

Michael Fagan
ColonyVideo.com

860 449 3067
So I replied:
Michael,

Before I answer, allow me to extract the maximum possible pity points. In Sept 2015, a buddy gave me a dead Samsung PN60E8000GF (8000 series 60" plasma, a VERY nice unit). A main board and power supply board, over $300, and a month later, I had a working TV. Earlier this year, my 5 year old son became frustrated with something and chucked a remote at it. The screen cracked in multiple places and, yeah, it's dead. So I've been on the hunt for a non-working 8000 series to perhaps harvest my parts and install into one with a good display. A Panasonic would not be a bad substitute.

Assuming the TV is in perfect working condition, I have mentally budgeted $300 for a suitable replacement - I don't think I can go any higher. Most people would buy whatever Walmart is offering and it's all I can do to explain to my wife why I am not willing to do that. They'd have a point, too. A modern LED is far brighter, uses far less power, is far lighter, and may even be 4K. I just like plasma better, as defunct as it is.

Let me know.

-Kevin
And he just got back to me:
Understand, I used to sell TVs. Always liked plasma better, no bleed through on the sides. I gotta get this thing outta here so let’s do it. Can you pick up end of the week?

Michael Fagan
ColonyVideo.com

860 449 3067
Wow, that was easy.

I replied back for logistics but also to confirm that this thing is 100%, has a stand, remote, etc.

This like the Roadmaster thing. I like plasmas a lot more than the marketplace. But that doesn't mean I should pay more than market value and the market has already voted plasma off the island with their wallets years ago. So I should be able to reap the benefits.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

https://www.cnet.com/products/panasonic ... 60/review/

$1700 MSRP. So not as fancy as the 8000 series Samsung but...
The Good/ The Panasonic TC-PST60 series has a reasonable price, incredibly good picture quality with exceedingly deep black levels, great shadow detail, accurate colors, solid bright-room performance, and superb off-angle and uniformity characteristics; it also features sleek styling with metal accents, offers plenty of Smart TV content, and includes two pairs of 3D glasses.

The Bad/ Worse 3D quality than many competing TVs; not as suited to extremely bright rooms as some LCD models; consumes more power than LCD TVs; introduces significant input lag.

The Bottom Line/ The midlevel price and outstanding quality of the Panasonic TC-PST60 series make it our strongest TV recommendation ever.
I've written TV reviews for more than 10 years, but I'm pretty sure this one is the most important. I'll cut to the chase: if you value picture quality, don't have money to burn, and don't game seriously enough to worry about input lag, you should buy the Panasonic TC-PST60.
Editors' Note, November 15, 2013: Panasonic has announced that it will no longer manufacture plasma televisions after 2013, making these TVs the last of their kind. That fact doesn't negatively affect our buying advice; in fact, just the opposite. We have confidence Panasonic will remain a viable company, and continue to support its plasma TVs, for years.
Well I guess that's fitting. The Panasonic plasma was my original dream TV. I ended up with Bryan's Samsung which actually was a damn good TV. But if this deal goes through at least I'll have one of Panasonic's last (if not the last?) plasma. That's something.

It is 3D. I don't care.

It goes have smart features. Hopefully they all still work. Specifically, Youtube, Amazon Prime video and Netflix.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

The step-up VT60 series, in addition to supposedly enhanced picture quality (a THX mode, more steps of gradation, possibly better black levels due in part to a better screen filter, and a new red phosphor for a wider color gamut), gets a few more features including a touch-pad remote, a built-in camera, voice recognition, and better speakers. Unlike last year, the ST60 and all higher-end plasmas have 96Hz modes as well as 48Hz (see below).

One unique extra for all 2013 Panasonic plasmas is a touch-pen accessory ($79), which as you might guess allows users to draw on the screen. It works, but I don't see how it's at all useful outside of a presentation environment.
Ah, VT60. That's the one I really want (or ZT60). Oh well. It sounds like they still gave it very good performance for the price point at least.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

a built-in camera, voice recognition,
Nope, definitely not the one you want...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Haha. Well the Samsung already has that. I've made no attempt to disable it.

The draw on the screen thing is cool. If I show the kids that, the screen will be smashed in a matter of minutes.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

The ST60's picture fidelity is outstanding. It compares favorably to the best TVs I've ever reviewed, with superb, inky, deep black levels; ample shadow detail; accurate color; and very good video processing. Its bright-room picture is also top-notch, thanks to an antireflective filter that far surpasses that of the step-down S60 series.

Picture settings:
Panasonic TC-P55ST60
As usual, if you have an extremely bright room, you may want to choose an LCD instead, but for nearly every normal room, this plasma is plenty bright -- and has the characteristic near-perfect uniformity and off-angle performance of its breed. Its biggest flaw is 3D picture quality, but I don't even consider that important enough to include in my consideration of its overall picture quality score, which is a solid 9 out of 10.
Update: If you're serious about playing fast-paced video games, this TV's significant input lag might give you pause. Check out our in-depth test for more, which includes a discussion of the subject, a subjective evaluation of the ST60's lag, and some alternative TVs.
Black level: The ST60 produces among the deepest black levels I've seen from any plasma TV, and that's saying something. According to my measurements, it beats out all of the 2012 plasmas in this area aside from the VT50 itself, our current plasma reference. In a dark room during my subjective side-by-side comparison, the only set that looked darker was the Sony on its most aggressive local dimming setting -- but due to the Sony's blooming and murky shadow detail, the ST60 looked significantly better overall.
Between the ST60 and VT50, it was a virtual tie. I placed the TVs directly next to one another, and during the darkest scene of a very dark film, the beginning of Chapter 12 from "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2," they looked nearly identical. The letterbox bars were inky, the shadows in the robes of the Death Eaters were dark yet rich with detail, and both the hillside behind Hogwarts and the castle-school itself were rendered with all of the detail of the source.
I don't care about the 3D. The input lag doesn't seem like an issue as long as I can sync audio/video. Though, I used to play Rock Band and that obviously requires sync. Fortunately, it has a sync mode so that should be fine, too.

The rest of that description sounds exactly like why I am looking for one of these TVs.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

This is worth saying: I don't even own a Blueray player, and other than perhaps streaming content, I have no sources of 4K or HDR. So, it stands to reason that a very high quality 1080p set is actually a better fit for my current usage.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

That could have been a use for the PS3 - Blu-ray.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

lol

I didn't even think of that.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

http://shop.panasonic.com/support-only/TC-P60ST60.html
Dimensions (W x H x D) (w/o stand) 55.0" x 32.4" x 2.0" (General depth: 2.0")
Dimensions (W x H x D) (with stand) 55.0" x 34.6" x 13.2"
Weight (w/o stand) 69.5 lbs.
Weight (with stand) 78.3 lbs.
I might actually be able to slip this in the back seat area of my truck and keep it out of the bed entirely. Need to confirm measurements but I think that will work. I will have to remove the stand first.