FAQ: Forum purpose and vision

Why another forum? Attention guests: start here.
admin_repair
Site Admin

FAQ: Forum purpose and vision

Post by admin_repair »

What is Repair-It?

Repair-It is a forum for individuals who typically value and enjoy fixing things instead of the default, consumeristic mentality of throwing a broken thing away and buying a new one. The expectation is that people who have repaired things, or are repairing things, can post the troubleshooting steps, repair process, pictures, parts used, costs or anything else that may be useful to someone looking to do something similar. Likewise, people can also post who may have a problem, would like to investigate the repair possibilities, and get that assistance via the other folks on the site.

Aren't there already forums for this?

Yes and no. While there are, in many cases, individual forums tailored to specific types of products (cars, electronics, appliances, lawn mowers, etc.), I have not found a site where repair-minded people can congregate and mutually benefit from the types of skillsets and systematic troubleshooting process capability that is often present in these folks. And simply being a repair-minded individual is often a large motivator for fixing something outside the immediate experience zone. Whether these people are posting successful repairs, providing help, or asking for help, I believe there is real value in the group assembly.

Repairing things is pointless and it's a waste of my time. Also you're an idiot.

I do find myself guilty of trying to talk people into "repair, don't replace" because I think there is often an inertia, a feeling that it is too hard, too complicated. Rather, the satisfaction of successfully diagnosing, repairing, and placing a device back into service is something I find personally rewarding. And I think others will, too. If you think everyone should just buy a new thing, and never attempt repairs, then this isn't the place for you. But the willingness to learn and help is what I think will bring people together. There are always cases where the repair is just too far outside the scope of skills, tools or even financial justification. However, I believe the process to get to that realization is not instantaneous and there is a lot of value to be derived from the thought exercise.

Where did the idea come from and what's your deal?

I am just an engineer who has always liked to tinker. My real mechanical experience started with working on cars in 2001 when I bought my first car in college. But before that, I spent a lot of time fooling around with computers. Since becoming a homeowner in 2007, I've found that my basic troubleshooting and repair skills have served me well. In my adult life, I've found I have associated with like-minded individuals. One of the primary means of communicating personal repair accomplishments was via e-mail, with automotive being the most common. On October 23, 2013, I thought it would be really interesting to create a forum where people like this (friends, to start) could all post, share tips, and where new members could share the same, or learn from others. I know I am personally eager to expand my own experience from that of new members. I am open to feedback (there is a feedback forum) on how to improve the site. I am not a programmer and this is a spare time venture, but certainly new sub-forums/topic ideas are welcome, provided they fit the basic mold of the site.

So have fun, get your learn on, and Repair-It!