Windows 8.1 HTPC

Home Theater PC
Fast_Ed

Windows 8.1 HTPC

Post by Fast_Ed »

Ceton no longer works with windows 8.1 upgrade..

Am I contacting the correct tech assistance person? This is suddenly confusing.
kevm14

Re: Windows 8.1 HTPC

Post by kevm14 »

Ceton does have pretty good tech support. If it's their end, I'd imagine they'll release a driver or firmware update. They should have already done that, really.
Adam

Post by Adam »

They have had several beta drivers for 8 and 8.1 preview that I have not installed for the tuner. I have not checked to see if there is an updated version of the server side of the mobile app.
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

Just realized this is in the wrong section of the forum.

Admin, can you move this to the HTPC section of this forum... In ten minutes... When that forum is added...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Done.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Fast_Ed wrote:Ceton no longer works with windows 8.1 upgrade...
So what he really means is Ceton My Media Center no longer works. Phone app won't connect and complains about a time/date problem, even though there is no time/date problem.

So, I went to Ceton's site and grabbed the latest version thinking it needed some update for the 8.1 upgrade. Installed it and ended up with a message: "You need Windows 8 Professional to use this software". That's funny as that is the version of Windows that I have on the HTPC. Ran the installer again and chose "Repair". Seemed fine. Still didn't work.

Next step: My Media Center configuration tool. Default port was set to 1024, a system port that user applications usually can't use. On top of that, the default port chosen from the phone app is 5832. Changed the port on the configuration tool. Still didn't work.

Next step: Windows Firewall. The service was set to be allowed through the firewall. Thinking maybe this entry is for the old version of the application, I added another entry for the application by path. Now it works. Hooray.