Tuner disconnected errors on my HTPC

Home Theater PC
kevm14

Tuner disconnected errors on my HTPC

Post by kevm14 »

It's been slowly getting more flaky as time goes on. I built this machine in fall of 2009 and while I have expanded the storage since then, I have had zero hardware failures. I also have never rebuilt the machine/OS. We don't use it as much as we used to but when we turn the TV on I always see all of these buffered error messages about unable to record shows due to tuner missing or disconnected.

As a reminder, I have a dual tuner ATSC card in the machine. PCIe. Win 7 Ultimate.

Restarting the machine does seem to restore functionality but I don't know for how long. It might be less than a week which is unsat.

I did install serverWMC to support the Kodi client in our bedroom. So in one fell swoop I did the following:
- Disabled serverWMC for the time being (it accesses the tuners for live TV capability so there is a hook there)
- Uninstalled the driver and software for the tuner card and shut down
- Opened case, reseated tuner card
- Rebooted, reinstalled driver (the driver that windows picked is 2009 so I suspect nothing more recent is available but I can look)
- Made sure a recording started and it did

So as time goes on, we will see if one or all of these things resolved the issue. I could have a hardware issue with the tuner. I suppose the OS could need to be rebuilt though I think that is less likely to cause this specific problem. If it seems solid I will re-enable serverWMC I guess. We don't use Kodi much in the bedroom so there's that.
kevm14

Re: Tuner disconnected errors on my HTPC

Post by kevm14 »

This is the tuner I have: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6815100041

Sadly I can't even find a product support page for it on AVerMedia's website despite having cards of similar nature.

http://avermedia.com/tv_more/support_faq

Sigh. I guess my 2009 driver is it then. It worked all this time anyway.