Leaky spigot shutoff valves?

Sinks, showers, pipes - usually pertaining to water or sewage. So don't mix them up.
kevm14

Leaky spigot shutoff valves?

Post by kevm14 »

I need to perform my twice annual septic tank outlet filter cleaning and I have already shut off the water to the spigot on the back of the house. So I went into the basement to turn it on. It's above the foundation wall so I have to get on a chair and stoop to avoid hitting the ceiling, so I can't see much but as I open it, I feel wetness. Actually, some small amount of flow, leaking around the valve shaft. I had flash backs to when this happened to me on the front spigot shutoff valve many years ago.

The solution was to do the same thing I did on that one: just give the packing nut a little tighten (not so much that you can't turn the valve) and presto, no more leak.

Hopefully it wasn't leaking all spring and summer...from the looks of it, it was, but maybe not as bad as it was when I opened the valve just now. The water would have pooled on top of the foundation wall, and then leaked down in front of the wall. This is in my laundry room (a partly finished room) so I guess it could have soaked the insulation and drywall. But I never saw or smelled water. Fixed!
Attachments
S7302432.JPG