Install a ceiling fan

Wires, breakers, outlets, switches - be careful
kevm14

Install a ceiling fan

Post by kevm14 »

Jamie has been nagging me about the original light fixture in our original kitchen. She also decided a ceiling fan would be nice for summers where the kitchen can get warm.
WP_20161227_15_55_43_Pro.jpg
The catch is this is one of those 70s chain deals where the light hangs in a different place than the wire comes out of the ceiling. And I wanted to put the ceiling fan where the light fixture hangs, which is not where the electricity is available.

This was the junction box where the light gets its power from. A surprising number of connections. Looks like 4 circuits, and the 5th is this light, which is obviously switched. Turns out this is on the same circuit as the basement lights, which is also shared with the cooktop vent light and fan.
WP_20161227_16_23_54_Pro.jpg
WP_20161227_16_23_50_Pro.jpg
Here's the hook and junction box. The nice thing is I noticed the junction box was actually nailed directly into a joist. And the hook was dead nuts inline with the way the joists run so I was thinking I was all set to run one of those 1/2" pancake fan junction boxes.
WP_20161227_16_48_46_Pro.jpg
Next I removed the hook. What's this??? No joist??? Yup, the hook was mounted on a standard drywall anchor.
WP_20161227_17_01_56_Pro.jpg
WP_20161227_17_02_17_Pro.jpg
Change of plans. I returned the pancake box and got one of those hanging screw things that goes between joists and you hang the box from that. I've seen this on Ask This Old House a bunch of times and finally got to use one. It was pretty easy.
WP_20161227_18_00_54_Pro.jpg
I took a length of 14/2 and pushed that across to the new hole. Then I made the junction in the appropriate places in the original box. By the way, this was the easiest way to do it - so the switch controls all. Switch on, and the unit has power. Use the chains for lights and fan. I think this works well because we will leave the lights on so it works as a light switch as it did before. If we want fan, we can pull the chain. If we want to leave the fan on but turn the lights off, again we can use the chain. There are remote control kits I could have used but I elected to keep it simple. I have no need for a remote hanging around the kitchen anyway.
WP_20161227_18_19_56_Pro.jpg
kevm14

Re: Install a ceiling fan

Post by kevm14 »

Final result. Even came with 3 14W CFL bulbs. So much light now.
WP_20161227_20_15_08_Pro.jpg
WP_20161227_20_15_33_Pro (2).jpg
It is a Hampton Bay, and only $80. 36" (small kitchen). The blades have a light or dark color, depending on which way you install them. We also went with the nickel. Oh one more important detail: many fans have a flush mount option. This is what I did. I did not use the 4.5" drop pole because I wanted to make sure the fan blades and lights were above my head. I also used a white cover on the old junction box.

I did have some trouble bolting this piece to the box I put in and that's because I cranked down too hard on it. It broke the drywall. So I busted out all the drywall thinking it would just clamp right to the box instead of across the hole on the edges of the drywall. That was no good as there would be no way to mount the fan since the holes would be recessed below the drywall. So I had to shim it back out with composite shims. That actually worked fine but you can see a small area of busted drywall in two places. I should get one of those medallions to cover the damage, which is actually legit. Except I don't think I feel like un-mounting and re-mounting the fan...
kevm14

Re: Install a ceiling fan

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote:That actually worked fine but you can see a small area of busted drywall in two places. I should get one of those medallions to cover the damage, which is actually legit. Except I don't think I feel like un-mounting and re-mounting the fan...
The nagging continued until I bought a medallion. I got a 10" and wish I got a 14". This was tricky to install after the fact mainly because I did not disassemble the fan so Jamie held the fan while I undid the electrical and took the whole thing down.

But the worst part was because there was no room to stick a screwdriver parallel with the screws to fasten the canopy to the mount. It was a fight and I don't know how I managed. Combination of my fingers, a flat head screw driver and shoving a long Philips head at an extreme angle and pushing hard to engage. It's up and it's not coming down now. Looks better I will admit. It is also more stable with the medallion supporting the canopy all the way around. Smaller is better in a way because it is less likely to draw your eye - I am trying to cover holes not make a statement.

I did reverse the whole unit 180° so the two lights are aimed more at the working area of the counter and the third light points back toward the door/kitchen table.
WP_20170102_15_44_08_Pro.jpg
WP_20170102_15_44_24_Pro.jpg