1997 Polaris Indy 600 XLT

The motorcycles of marine craft
rpaoness

1997 Polaris Indy 600 XLT

Post by rpaoness »

My youngest called snowmobiles snowboats during his first few rides and the name kind of stuck. I almost titled this post snowboat, especially since this was the best topic area I could find for a personal snow-craft. I bought a 1997 Polaris Indy 600 XLT for $300 that probably spent at least 2 years stuck on the side of someone's dirt driveway collecting leaves. They claimed it ran out of gas last year and assumed the fuel system was plugged and that's all that's wrong with it.

I pulled apart the entire fuel system. The worst of the things that I found broken was the fuel pickup line had disintegrated entirely in the fuel tank. All of the carbs were also gunked up. Completely disassembled everything, ordered a replacement carburetor mixture needle for a broken one and a used fuel pump because the housing on the one in the snowmobile was corroded. Assembled everything with all new fuel lines and it started. It ran ok-ish, but would almost always die or at least almost die after about 30-40 seconds. Managed to get two 200' drives out of it (falsely hoping that would somehow "clear" things up or get rid of whatever air pockets etc. were causing issues?) unsuccessfully. I've now purchased a fuel pump rebuild kit as my next attempt at seeing if I can get it to actually run.
dochielomn

Re: 1997 Polaris Indy 600 XLT

Post by dochielomn »

Stop slacking Rob and just build one (an entire snowmobile) from scratch, :). Put that double major WPI degrees to work!