Car Cost Curve

Car/truck/automotive news and discussion
Adam

Re: Car Cost Curve

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote: Camshaft thing....but ok.
I would describe that as a fluke as it was less than 100k. Both the first replacement engine and the current engine have more mileage than the original one did at the time of failure and have no broken camshafts. Although you could use this as an anecdote: Those Civics are junk, the camshafts break in half.
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:
kevm14 wrote:I'm not sure there is a huge gap on interior wear quality. Chevy trucks are known for seats that crack and get destroyed. That Legend we saw had an absolutely destroyed passenger seat. The Maxima interior looked great at 240k but it had ownership that would disqualify it the same way you disqualified my Caprice.
I meant to expand upon this. Each car has a different owner, usage and history. And if 200k of my ownership keeps something nice (can't say the same for the paint which was probably destined for failure being a thin respray), then all I have to do is NOT buy a crappy example of something, and it'll last me. I don't care if MOST GMT-800 Chevy trucks have a busted up driver's seat bolster. I'll try to buy the one that does not and it will probably stay that way since I am not dragging dirty work pants across that thing 10 times a day.
That STS in NJ had an at least partially ruined interior.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Yes, and every other one I've seen has not had any of that strange seat wear or even the heavy steering wheel wear (light steering wheel wear, yes). So...I blame the previous owner.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Adam wrote:I would describe that as a fluke as it was less than 100k. Both the first replacement engine and the current engine have more mileage than the original one did at the time of failure and have no broken camshafts. Although you could use this as an anecdote: Those Civics are junk, the camshafts break in half.
Yeah I remember when I finally understood the history.

I do have a 98 Civic EX auto anecdote and it's not good. And this was back when it was not even a 10 year old car.

My problem with Jenn's Civic is that it's not a good driving car. It's not fast (not even a little). I don't think it handles all that well. It doesn't ride well. It's loud (I assume but I bet I'm right - it's a 90s Honda). For all of its longer than average component anecdotes, what I just mentioned kind of deflates those wins.

But I know I won't get very far criticizing people's car preferences. I've had this conversation with Ed about the Saab many times. Or really, some on this forum don't understand why I like my Caprice so much. So I probably shouldn't go too far down that road...
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Yes, and every other one I've seen has not had any of that strange seat wear or even the heavy steering wheel wear (light steering wheel wear, yes). So...I blame the previous owner.
We saw multiple pictures of wrecked STS interiors including the steering wheel issueand the plastic plate coming off the back of the driver's seat.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

- People don't want Windows Phones
This is correct.
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote: I do have a 98 Civic EX auto anecdote and it's not good. And this was back when it was not even a 10 year old car.
Go on...
kevm14 wrote: My problem with Jenn's Civic is that it's not a good driving car. It's not fast (not even a little). I don't think it handles all that well. It doesn't ride well. It's loud (I assume but I bet I'm right - it's a 90s Honda).
It's less loud now that it has new tires, but yes.
kevm14 wrote:Or really, some on this forum don't understand why I like my Caprice so much.
I have no idea.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

bill25 wrote:
We saw multiple pictures of wrecked STS interiors including the steering wheel issueand the plastic plate coming off the back of the driver's seat.
I'll give you the trim on the driver's seat. That does commonly break. But do also remember that all of the cars we looked at that were ruined were bottom of market cars that were selling for 8-10% of their original MSRP (in extreme cases, 4-6%!). Let's look at a bunch of everyone's favorite cars for 8-10% of their original MSRP and see how perfectly mint their interiors are.

Any STS for real money (like $7500+) was not trashed. If they were just shitty cars, they'd all be shitty.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I also need to remind everyone that while we can pick on any individual problem and say "I've never heard of XYZ breaking on [insert your favorite brand or country of origin] car" but if you actually look into makes and models (or own one long term) you'll find that many cars actually have known trouble areas. They differ from make to make and model to model (could be engine, trans, electrical, corrosion or other) but I guarantee there are usually one or more things that you will dig up which are known issues. Then you have to find out how common it is, how to determine if the car you are looking at has the issue (or will have the issue) and how expensive it is to repair.

So the solution isn't to just write entire cars off but to actually make a risk assessment based on potential issues, and comparing that to purchase price, condition and the features/characteristics that you like.
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote: So the solution isn't to just write entire cars off but to actually make a risk assessment based on potential issues, and comparing that to purchase price, condition and the features/characteristics that you like.
Yes. The best way to not have car problems is to not own a car.