Bad news (rumors) for the Camaro

Car/truck/automotive news and discussion
bill25

Re: Bad news (rumors) for the Camaro

Post by bill25 »

I think this is good. It actually makes sense to keep the Camaro with the Corvette being mid-engine.

I agree 60K is great for a supercar, but that doesn't matter a whole lot if you can't afford 60K. I do think a lot of sports car buyers would be alienated if Chevy's entry level sports car started at 60K.

I also agree that being different drive layouts will lower the chances of cannibalization, and should keep some performance differences. A Camaro can be 25 to 65K and a Corvette can be 60K to 150K.

Plus, I am glad there isn't an option for Camaro golf bags that take up the whole trunk... But don't worry, if you don't eat much you can put your lunch box under the hood. This talk and healthy competition should continue to make both cars get even better.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

I think it is good to have the options for style too.

So lets imagine for a minute, someone wants a sports car, but doesn't intend to track it. Maybe they will go with the style they like over raw performance numbers since these can each be made with crazy power.

Perfect example: so far from what I am seeing from the C8, I like the C7 better in terms of styling. Personally I think the C7 is the best looking Vette ever. But I am not a Vette fan, and I have no idea where Vette fans would place this design overall in it's history. Maybe someone would buy a gen 7 Camaro due to styling over the C8. I like options. I also like having a back seat, even if it is not great.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

To me the single best way to describe the C8 is that it looks like a mid-engine Corvette. I think that was probably the right move for such a bold architectural advancement.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I do not love the looks of the C8 from what I've seen so far in photos, but I will wait to judge it until I see one in person. The performance value is undeniable though. This is the first Corvette I have a real desire to drive since my C5 Z06.