Electric Hummer

Car/truck/automotive news and discussion
kevm14

Re: Electric Hummer

Post by kevm14 »

I didn't realize GM still owned the rights to Hummer. Or maybe they tried to sell the brand but no deal ever went through. This is actually pretty interesting.
The Hummer SUV brand petered out of existence after General Motors' bankruptcy proceedings, in 2010, after failing to find a suitable buyer. Nobody, even cash-rich Chinese automakers, wanted anything to do with a brand that embodied the hulking, conspicuously inefficient SUVs that had become toxic the world over. Gas prices were still high, Toyota Priuses were seemingly taking over the road—General Motors even introduced hybrid versions of its Chevy Tahoe and Cadillac Escalade. A decade later, gas prices have stayed cheap amidst an economic boom, and guess what Americans are buying again in droves? S-U-Vs. It's just the opening GM needs to resurrect Hummer.

Rumors have begun circulating that General Motors plans to bring back Hummer, this time as an all-electric SUV brand. It isn't as crazy as it sounds. Hummer, when it still existed, was a premium brand within GM's hierarchy. With electric-vehicle tech still pricey, GM could launch a long-range SUV under the Hummer name, taking advantage of higher MSRPs to turn a better profit than it could on a lower-priced EV such as the Chevy Bolt. By going electric, the automaker also could wash its hands of its environmentally unfriendly image, absolving itself of the gas-guzzling sins of its past. And has nobody yet thought of how on point the Hummer name is for an electric car? Electric motors, um, hum. It's perfect.
I actually approve of this move if it is executed well. I have been pretty consistently vocal about the big push to trucks, as if the last 15 years never happened. So maybe the time is right to bring the brand back but as an EV lineup. I mean, you don't even have to market very hard the idea that Hummer + SUV + EV = luxury/premium, so they can charge big bucks, and people may actually desire the product! So this could do well for them. Perhaps it could also provide an R&D platform to test stuff before rolling to Cadillac.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I didn't realize how true those rumors were. Or how or how fast official news would come.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-gm ... g-we-know/
With an unveil date of May 20, 2020, and production set for GM's Detroit-Hamtramck plant, the GMC Hummer EV likely arrives in dealers in mid-to-late 2021. While GM isn't saying much about the model's technical details, the company did announce the EV will have 1,000 horsepower, 11,500 pound-feet of torque, and hit 60 miles per hour in 3.0 seconds. Given the high torque figure, we suspect GM will fit the Hummer with an individual electric motor at each drive wheel, for four total.

Regardless of how the Hummer pushes its electric power to the ground, expect the truck to offer the off-road capability long associated with the brand. It'll also sport classic Hummer design cues, such as a relatively upright windshield, a wide maw, and short overhangs. LED headlights that span the width of the vehicle, however, clearly mark this as a different breed of Hummer. We anticipate it'll wear a rather high price tag, too, possibly breaking the six-figure barrier when optioned out.

GM retired the Hummer line of vehicles nearly a decade ago after expanding the brand's lineup to include the H2 and H3 SUVs and trucks. While the new Hummer enters the market as a GMC, there's always the possibility that GM will once again break the brand out on its own. Hey, stranger things have happened—and we hear a Hummer-badged electric SUV also is in the works.
Guess what used to be made in that Detroit-Hamtramck plant?

Cadillac CT6. Sigh. This also happened in the 90s when GM ended B-body production in Arlington, TX to make GMT-400 SUVs.

Also there is a key thing that I overlooked when I read this the first time, or when I read the article Bill posted. It won't just be sold at GMC dealers, but it will actually BE a GMC. GMC Hummer. Interesting. But I get it. Ram pulled out of Dodge as the brand was really coming into its own so it seems there is plenty of time to do that with Hummer. Other benefits include the fact that GMC is already perceived as a fairly upscale brand (and they have zero cars anyway). The expense of standing up a whole new brand may not be worth it at this point. GMC dealers already exist and, again, people looking to spend a lot of money on a vehicle are already walking into their showrooms.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3071 ... nl19222807
That torque figure sounds suspicious to us, so we're thinking that it's a measure of the amount of wheel torque, meaning it's multiplied through the truck's gear ratio. The amount of torque actually produced by the electric motors would probably be more like 1150 lb-ft. We asked GMC for clarification, and a spokesperson told C/D that the company is not getting more specific at this point.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

https://www.motortrend.com/news/gmc-hum ... 80F127DC66

Hummer vs Cybertruck.
The days of slow trucks are over, because both of these EVs are ridiculously quick. Tesla estimates the Cybertruck will sprint from zero to 60 mph in as little as 2.9 seconds. That's the figure for the tri-motor, all-wheel-drive model. Dual- and single-motor models need less than 4.5 and 6.5 seconds, respectively, to hit the same mark, according to Tesla.

Although its powertrain details are still under wraps, the Hummer EV will offer 1,000 horsepower from its electric motors (we're presuming multiple motors will be used to reach that figure). That's enough grunt to get the truck to the mile-a-minute mark in 3.0 seconds flat, per GMC. That's not quite as quick as the quickest Cybertruck, but it's still plenty quick for most truck buyers.
I expect the Hummer product to be very expensive. The question is, how far down market can they or will they go, and what will be the characteristics of the vehicle in those price ranges? That's like...the only question that really matters in a way.
With its base price of $39,900, the Tesla Cybertruck looks to put mainstream trucks like the Ford F-150, Ram 1500, and Chevrolet Silverado 1500 in its crosshairs. Of course, that's for the single motor model. Opt for dual- or tri-motors and the prices rise to $49,900 and $69,900. No matter the motor count, Tesla charges $7,000 for the Full-Self Driving option. The package allows the truck to complete some driving tasks with minimal driver interaction. In other words, unless Tesla achieves a major technological breakthrough, the Cybertruck's inappropriately named Full-Self Driving option still requires the driver to remain attentive while behind the wheel.

Pricing for the GMC Hummer EV remains undisclosed, but the Cybertruck's price will undoubtedly force GM to keep its sticker price competitive.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/20 ... spartanntp

Not sure if this is really what this will look like, but... hopefully not. This is a truck, with hummer style rims, and a kinda Hummer grill. So, Maybe the next GMC will be a GMC Ferrari, but it will be the same chassis as a Sierra, with Ferrari rims and some Ferrari looking grille with batteries?

Don't get me wrong, I'm ok with Hummer going electric, but it should still look like a Hummer. It should also be rugged, and off-road worthy like a Hummer.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Some guy from C&D took the Hummer grill which they did show and then completely made up everything around it. I'm not worrying yet.