Accelerated Google Fiber rollout plans

Tech news
kevm14

Accelerated Google Fiber rollout plans

Post by kevm14 »

http://a.msn.com/r/2/BBvzSoa?a=1&m=EN-US

Wireless LOS. Ok...fine.

Commence countdown to Idiocracy. People may hate their ISP but I want real competition*, not an advertising company who is licking their lips at serving me ads at unprecedented speed. Google may own search (I use Bing exclusively and I have no issues at all), but does anyone want them to actually own the internet? I do not.

* Traditional ISPs may not be able to compete with Google's ad-subsidized revenue model and therefore we may end up with no competition at all. I want innovation but not if it pushes us toward Idiocracy. And by the way, I don't actually need 1 gig...
Bob

Re: Accelerated Google Fiber rollout plans

Post by Bob »

Put me on the list of people who hate their ISP and want more competition. I am also in an area that will be getting Google Fiber in the near future. I will likely switch if for no other reason than to send a message to Time Warner.
Bob

Post by Bob »

So after waiting a long time for Google Fiber to show up in my neighborhood, it looks like AT&T actually beat them to the punch. AT&T FIOS is now available at my house. Combine that with the general shittiness of TWC lately (two prolonged outages in the last week) and I'm ready to make the jump to AT&T. They have a $50/month plan that has 300 Mbps (Don't think I will pony up more for the gigabit plan. I'll probably roll with the 300 plan from them and see how it works.

I just did a speed test of my TWC and it appears they have been making some improvements lately. It now does 115 down and 12 up. I didn't really notice to be honest, which is another reason I'll just go with the lowest speed fiber plan from AT&T.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

AT&T FIOS? You sure? I thought it was Verizon.

Also I'd be totally happy with 115. Or 50 down. I am suffering with 15 to save a few bucks...

I have Verizon FIOS available but you can't even get a promo plan for $50, and that would be 50/50...
Bob

Post by Bob »

This is AT&T Fiber. They put the wires in about a month ago in my neighborhood (when I sent you all those pics of vintage GM trucks) and I just got an email that it's available. They are offering 300 Mbps for $50/month and 1 gig for $80/month. I just noticed the 300 plan only includes 1 TB of data (the 1 gig plan is unlimited). I have no concept of how much 1 TB is or if I'd be anywhere near it.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Oh.

My current plan is 1TB and you can easily look it up on your account I am sure.