Frame out and case a room transition

Not always energy-related. If not, put it here.
Bob

Re: Frame out and case a room transition

Post by Bob »

It's funny because no one makes a truck as small as the Ranger anymore, at least not for the US market.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Lots of work with putty. I started out with joint compound but switched to the plaster stuff again. For the finish board, I started off with some white Elmers wood filler (has ceramic beads in it or something). But I layered some lightweight filler since it wasn't perfect. Lots of sanding/plaster cycles to get the transition between the old wall and new wall seamless. When it's painted, I want it to look like the house was built this way.
DSC_3871.JPG
The right side is not finished. I have to pull the trim off the closet door in order to properly get my inner joint blade in there. But there's no rush because this won't need to be done until the dining room is ready for paint. Lots of wall paper to pull before then.
DSC_3872.JPG
DSC_3873.JPG
My helper.
DSC_3874.JPG
DSC_3875.JPG
DSC_3876.JPG
Look, this wall isn't flat! So I have to goop a ton of compound in there to try to bridge the gap. I will have to extend the baseboard trim (I will probably replace it entirely) to meet the doorway casing.
DSC_3877.JPG
I keep having to remind myself not to worry about the parts that will be under trim, in terms of aesthetics. But it does have to be relatively flat so the trim doesn't have gaps behind it.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Big progress. I ended up using mesh tape along the seam between those finish boards and the old walls, and more putty (specifically, I think I will stick with the wall joint compound, and it is specifically intended to use with the mesh tape).

I've also painted the boards, finally. All that's left for this particular project (as part of the greater living room update) is to case the doorway.

You can see my living room walls are finally painted, as well.
DSC_4431.JPG
Looking into the dining room.
DSC_4432.JPG
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Got the trim installed and the holes filled. Need to wait for the filler to dry then I can apply a finish coat. I ended up putting on a good layer in the basement on all the trim. Then I'll put a second coat while on the wall just to cover the nail hole filler. I think this was a good plan because I won't have to mask off around the wall or try to paint out to the edges, since there are no nails on the sides.

I used my Hitachi finish nailer, which is still the best thing ever. I stuck with the 15ga 2" finish nails. For depth I did have to experiment a bit and ended up setting the gun two notches deeper for the rosettes, since they are thicker. I still used a nail set on a few rosette nails but the gun setting got them flush at least.
DSC_4438.JPG
It feels good to see a finished product emerge. I'm no carpenter or architect, but I will say I think my vision for this transition was pretty good. I credit watching tons of This Old House and Ask This Old House.

The dining room side is still a work in progress but from the living room side of this transition project, it's almost complete. The rest of the living room will go into the living room thread.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Needs an update. A few layers of paint on the trim around this opening, plus baseboard trim. Looks good.
DSC_4479.JPG
I suppose I can keep track of my progress with this transition on the dining room side within this thread. I may end up using simple ranch trim on the dining room side. Unless I think I can pull off a fancier trim design on only the transition and nothing else in the dining room.