Deck lattice

If it's outside and you walk on it (or if you can't until you repair it)
kevm14

Deck lattice

Post by kevm14 »

In part 2 of my deck sprucing up (in lieu of total replacement) I decided some lattice around the perimeter would really clean it up.

I ended up with a vinyl lattice, and two accessory pieces: bottom edging (to hide the cut edge and follow the ground), and gap trim (to hide the gap between pieces of lattice).

I spent a lot of time brainstorming how to actually design the solution (what to actually cover), and how to secure it properly. After looking at the label on the lattice itself, I realized stakes would be ideal to give the bottom of the lattice something to hang onto. For the top, I'd just screw it into the deck 2x8s.

For the stakes, I made my own using a 1x3 PVC board, cutting into 12" long sections, and I actually selected a 60° angle for the tip. Shout out, again, to my Irwin clamps. So handy. My Ryobi One+ circular saw obviously had no problem handling these light duty cuts.
S7302764.JPG
At roughly 2 foot increments, I used a level to follow the edge down from the 2x8, and a 2.5 lb mini-sledge to drive the stakes into the ground, leaving an inch or two exposed to screw into. Notice the shim pieces against the 4x4 post (set back from the face of the 2x8). I used two which made a perfect 1.5" shim.
S7302765.JPG
More shims, and one stake behind the steps.
S7302766.JPG
My PVC lumber. Really ideal for a job like this. Won't rot, and I'm not asking much of it structurally.
S7302767.JPG
My first piece of lattice is cut, with the bottom edging installed. It is propped up with my level, just to make sure I like how this is going to look. Short answer: yep.
S7302768.JPG
S7302769.JPG
A small cut by the siding J-channel just to close the gap with the foundation. Not screwed in yet.
S7302770.JPG
S7302771.JPG
It's the measuring, cutting and fastening that actually makes this job surprisingly tedious. First, you can't have the lattice tightly fastened and it needs expansion space in all dimensions, or else it will bow. One look at the Home Depot reviews and it is clear people don't follow directions, and think they can just screw this on and it'll be fine forever. Nope. But if you take some care to cut it short on the bottom (float in the gap of the trim), plus drill oversized holes for each fastener AND actually leave every screw a bit loose, there won't be any issues. I used stainless screws. To fasten the shims on the 4x4 posts, I just used some deck screws, since you'll never see the heads.

So here's two pieces, with the gap trim installed between each section of lattice. Coming along, just slowly. That's my dad. He enjoyed helping with this project. Thanks, Dad.
S7302772.JPG
S7302773.JPG
Argh, we spent way too much time measuring and it still came out way off around the step.
S7302774.JPG
Nothing a bunch more tedious measuring and cutting can't fix (I bet I spent at least 20 minutes measuring/cutting this piece to insert).
S7302775.JPG
One side done, onto the back. I used the bottom trim to make sure my stakes were fairly straight. This actually took quite a few tries until I realized the 2x8 wasn't actually perpendicular with the ground. This is also the area the deck had previously settled.
S7302776.JPG
S7302777.JPG
Next 8 foot piece of lattice up. Looking pretty awesome!
S7302778.JPG
S7302779.JPG
S7302780.JPG
Time to wrap up for the day (and weekend). This would wait for the following weekend to continue (basically the 2nd half).
kevm14

Re: Deck lattice

Post by kevm14 »

Day 2

I continued the back section with another 8 footer, then a small piece to the corner.
S7302782.JPG
Ah, here's an issue. The lateral joists stick out past the perimeter 2x8. Which means I would need to cut them flush so the lattice could sit well against the 2x8.
S7302783.JPG
Just eying up the rest of the job.
S7302784.JPG
Laying bottom trim...
S7302785.JPG
With a combination of a reciprocating saw, wood chisel and sander, I got these down flush, though it looks ugly since it is unpainted. I didn't have any extra paint so...it's fine.
S7302786.JPG
The next 8 foot section wasn't too bad.
S7302787.JPG
S7302788.JPG
We worked late into the night and I guess I stopped taking pictures. We worked really hard to get the measurements right by the steps and it paid off. We also worked to extend the lattice into the foundation window to avoid large animals getting under the deck. This is the finished product.
S7302791.JPG
S7302792.JPG
S7302793.JPG
S7302794.JPG
Not a super cheap job. In fact, between the paint and lattice, this all probably cost $500, to refresh the deck. But that's cheaper than a new deck.