No AC in the house!

You should know what this is. If not, you probably roll your windows down a lot.
bill25

No AC in the house!

Post by bill25 »

Damn mice! I think it killed the fan motor, or the cap died. Bad Humming sound when power is applied, but nothing happens.

I noticed it was getting warm, and that the AC was "on", air was blowing, but it wasn't cool. Went out side and the fan was stopped, and I saw this:
12236.jpeg
bill25

Re: No AC in the house!

Post by bill25 »

I ended up replacing the capacitor. The symptoms were that there was a loud hum when the outdoor unit was being energized. I was able to find out that this is usually 1 of 2 possible problems. It could have been the fan motor, or the capacitor. To determine which, if you very carefully can help the fan start by pushing it with something, and it takes off at normal speed, it is most likely the capacitor, which gives the fan and compressor the initial push to overcome being stopped/off.

In my case, the fan passed the test and I replaced the cap. It seems to have worked.
I had to use one of these:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/COOLRUN-2-5- ... /206041447

I didn't get it from Home Depot, because they suck, and don't stock anything. Also notice, it is 4 times more expensive than the standard cap that I needed, because it has options I don't need. It makes it easier for stores though because they only have to stock one part now. Home Depot can't even do that.