Roadmaster Cabin Fan

You should know what this is. If not, you probably roll your windows down a lot.
Fast_Ed

Roadmaster Cabin Fan

Post by Fast_Ed »

Cabin fan failed on the Roadmaster last night. It wasn't working at any speed for most of the drive, but I was able to coax some pathetic wimpers from it (fan on high with the engine off/key on.)

not a particularly tough job. Under the p/side glove box there is an easily-unclipped plastic cover.

Three 5.5mm bolts hold the motor in. It's a whole lot closer to the door than I expected. One electrical connector.

more to come.
kevm14

Re: Roadmaster Cabin Fan

Post by kevm14 »

Yeah the challenge is mainly just body contortion. So, you know, no problems. Like the rear shocks.......

Also, your failure may not be the motor but the controller (which would be a simple resistor pack on a manual climate control car). But on the auto climate control cars, this is the part:
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/morein ... cc=1022218

And instead of $20 it's $100. So be sure to test the motor before ordering one.
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

Oh I'm sure it was the motor.

when I took it out I put the multimeter on the car end of the connector and saw the voltage range from ~6v for low to ~12 for high.

there was a half eaten acorn in the 'mousewheel' which likely explains the terrible vibe on fan hi.

at any rate, I installed the blower from Adams caprice and it works better than the old one (no vibes on hi fan.)

given that the fan resistor is so expensive, maybe I should clean out the existing one now...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Yes. You remember my story about the way my Caprice's resistor pack failed. It was covered in mouse nest material and I thought my car was on fire. Then my fan only worked on high. Brool story, co.