04 E55 AMG: front fell off

Got rust?
kevm14

04 E55 AMG: front fell off

Post by kevm14 »

Still funny (referring to thread title).

Anyway, was driving to work on Wednesday and when I got close I heard a scaping sound which was NOT the Prius in front of me. Immediately pulled over and I found this.
20210526_092013_HDR.jpg

That'll do it. How did this happen? Well I did an oil change 400 miles ago. I recall putting the screws back for this panel and they did not bite very well in those clip on nuts. Many of them do this. So obviously they are just worn out and also I probably need to stop using my impact to put them on even though I am gentle.

But I still had to get to work. So I took a look at the trunk to see what tools I might have. The first thought was to find an 8mm wrench and maybe I could remove the 2 rear bolts. But then the rear panel would flop down. Hmm. No zip ties, either. Also I couldn't really reach anything. So I dug a little more and found the jack stuff. Not a bad idea to familiarize myself before a road trip though the car has no spare. It DOES have an air compressor though! That's cool.

Anyway I got the jack out and figure out how to position it. Car cranked right up on the pad. Pretty neat design, too. Better than the screw jacks I am used to.
20210526_093129_HDR.jpg

I then pulled the trunk liner out and laid on it. Finally I was under the car and managed to layer the middle panel on top of the rear lip of the front panel, if that makes sense. It seems quite secure and I could probably leave it like this until my next oil change but I'm not doing that.
20210526_093121_HDR.jpg

Went to MB again to get 4 more clip on nuts and 2 bolts to replace the 2 that fell out. Not bad.
20210527_113549.jpg
kevm14

Re: 04 E55 AMG: front fell off

Post by kevm14 »

One of the nut inserts was just missing. So that doesn't help anything stay attached. Another screw was actually loose. WTF.

Anyway I replaced all 4 nut inserts for that panel and 2 new screws where they had fallen out. Feels tight now.