My Wiper Arm Failed

Got rust?
Adam

My Wiper Arm Failed

Post by Adam »

On the way to work, in the rain. There was a pop and I saw some strings come out of the driver's side arm and fly off the car. Then I drove the rest of the way to work with a "gangsta lean" to look out the passenger side of the windshield. I replaced the arms with "quality" Dorman arms sometime after I bought the Fleetwood as the OEM arm springs were a bit tired.

If only I had a spare car with some arms I could utilize....

Need to get it done before it snows later this week.
Adam

Re: My Wiper Arm Failed

Post by Adam »

Rockauto.com lists Dorman products as having a lifetime warranty. I should pursue this to get a replacement while I run my "spare".
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

That's disappointing. I've replaced my arms a few times (usually a perceived weak srping or road blasted paint) but with GM arms and I've never had one fail. What I have seen (not on my car) is the arm slip on the splined pivot but that's just because the nut wasn't torqued down, or the pot metal of the arm is just completely worn out. I guess they are cheap and easy enough to replace that it's not a big deal.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Yeah, the Dorman ones are ~$16/ea and readily available while the GM ones are ~$40/ea and you have to poke around for them. I will probably spring for GM ones if I need to do this in the future.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I wouldn't be surprised if Dorman didn't even make them last time I bought a wiper arm.