Chassis Rot on the Riviera

Got rust?
Adam

Chassis Rot on the Riviera

Post by Adam »

Now with sweet pictures.

Best shot of the bottom. This U-channel continues down the length of the car. Overlaying a 6"-8" piece on the bottom will probably take care of it
IMG_20161224_101351.jpg
This shot shows the entirety of the side hole. Same thing as the above. You can also see more of the attachment brace that is partially missing. The other side of the car is just needs the brace repaired, the U-channel is mostly solid (aside from surface rust).
IMG_20161224_101359.jpg
This will be the hardest part as the subframe is in the way. It wouldn't be terrible to remove it completely (like the Saab), but I'd rather not have to do that. I will try to clean it up and fill in the cracks with weld. If I do end up dropping the subframe, it will be much easier to do the rear trans mount and the subframe bushings (as a couple of them are in questionable shape).
IMG_20161224_101409.jpg
Adam

Re: Chassis Rot on the Riviera

Post by Adam »

I'll try to grab some better shots of it when I'm not laying on the ground in my driveway in the rain.
Adam

Re: Chassis Rot on the Riviera

Post by Adam »

Adam wrote:I'll try to grab some better shots of it when I'm not laying on the ground in my driveway in the rain.
Turns out I won't do that. But I will fix it. Finally.

I bought some 14ga galvanized steel (thicker than stock) at the local Lowe's and got to welding. Unfortunately, I didn't take many pictures during, but the end result is I now have a sticker. Which is good, because the state sent the "your registration will be suspended on 2/9/17" letter.

This is at the end of the welding phase on the driver's side. You can see one good weld and many terrible ones.
IMG_20170205_172654.jpg
After this, I used seam sealer to fill in the gaps (and some non-critical holes I didn't feel like patching) and covered the whole mess with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator. I might go back later with another coat of Chassis Black as that held up fairly well (the black parts of the above photo). I then did the same to the passenger side (not shown, less rust).

I also replaced the failed tie rod end and did a tape measure alignment to 0" toe. Don't worry, I got a real alignment with the inspection. Outer tie rod ends on a front-drive GM are so simple, I was finished before I thought about taking pictures.

Now to figure out how to get the jammed tape out of the tape player...