05 STS water in door

Got rust?
kevm14

05 STS water in door

Post by kevm14 »

I've noticed this lately after heavy rain. The driver's side rear door holds a significant amount of water that you can hear sloshing around. When you open the door, you see water dribbling out.

I mentioned it to Adam today while driving back from lunch. He said to check the drains. I've never really dealt with door drains but after my sunroof drain line situation, I figured...yeah I better find that drain. Or drill a hole and make one.

So after lunch I parked the car, opened the door and felt around under the weather strip. Magically, I felt in exactly the right place and before my finger could even reach the drain hole, as I moved the weather strip, water began gushing out, just like when I unclogged the sunroof drain at the base in the front door hinge area.

I watched it drain for probably a minute and then it stopped. I guess it is fixed and I'll think about making sure the other drains are clear.

It does make sense that the door drain would clog at a similar time as the sunroof drain because it is environmental in nature (i.e. pollen and whatever).

It was only a few inches from the rear of the strip.
WP_20171122_14_27_15_Pro.jpg
Tried an under shot...not sure what this shows. I don't see the drain hole. It's probably under the strip toward the top of the picture.
WP_20171122_14_27_24_Pro.jpg
Door frames are not hermetically sealed because the seal at the base of the window isn't perfect. But the water that drips in, should drip out, just like the sunroof situation.