04 E55 AMG: Side mirror adjustment motor

Got rust?
kevm14

04 E55 AMG: Side mirror adjustment motor

Post by kevm14 »

It wasn't failed, it was just starting to lose track of its memory. Sometimes when starting the car the driver's side mirror would adjust itself too far in and I'd have to move it back out. This was a nuisance but I guess I'm picky. So I figured the potentiometer or whatever internally was going and misreporting the position causing the car to try adjusting it. Actually I think my STS passenger side mirror is having similar, intermittent symptoms though more spurred on by the auto tilt down I have it set to do. It sometimes doesn't return to the original position correctly.

Anyway, I ordered a new motor per the other thread. Having removed the outer mirror shell I knew this would be easy. I quickly confirmed in the FSM that there are no tricks to this - I was afraid there would be some BS "position relearn" procedure or something but fortunately no.

I don't think the tape is even necessary but I taped it so the screwdriver wouldn't chip the paint if contact was made. It would chip on the inside anyway and it's plastic so it's not like it can rust...but yeah, tilt mirror out against spring, release clip with screwdriver.
20200822_102619.jpg
20200822_102635.jpg
You do have to adjust the mirror to the inner-most position in order for the shell to clear but then simply pull and it slides off and releases the electrical connectors automatically.
20200822_102910.jpg
Next unclip the mirror glass from the adjustment motor. This is pretty simple. Basically the upper wire/spring and then gently release two plastic tabs and it just comes off. Unlike the pass side there is a harness plug rather than just two heater connectors. Is this an auto-dimming side mirror?? It may be - I'll have to check my options again.

Then unscrew the 3 T10 screws that hold the motor on the mirror itself. I used my new comically long drivers for this as my regular set stops at T15 apparently.
20200822_103448.jpg
Remove and disconnect the plug. Removal complete.
20200822_103610.jpg
I elected to clean and grease the mirror pivot tabs with white lithium at this point since there was good access. Plug new motor into plug and attach it to mirror with the 3 T10 screws.

I then realized that in order to reattach the mirror glass, I had to adjust the motor to a different position. So I switched the car to accessory (it's German so no soup for you unless you at least engage accessory, which is one tap of the start/stop button) and adjusted my new motor to a more centered position. This was the first test and it works perfectly. At this point the car instantly realized it was missing the mirror shell with the 2 bulbs and told me so on the dash. Bulb monitoring like this is such a European car thing unless you count the old Cadillac fiber system. But I guess it's cool to tell you exactly which bulb and not one you'd necessarily realize was out...
20200822_104341.jpg
Glass and spring reattached. I don't think I had to release the spring but whatever.
20200822_104728.jpg
20200822_104734.jpg
Shell reinstalled. Just clicks back into place with a bit of force. I had to adjust the mirror back fully inward for this.
20200822_105017.jpg
20200822_105009.jpg
Old motor.
20200822_105020.jpg
20200822_105024.jpg
For bonus points I held down the memory 1 position to see if it would just adjust back to where it was supposed to be and it definitely adjusted itself. I didn't get in the car yet to see if it's exactly right or if I'll have to relearn but no problem either way.

This took exactly 25 minutes taking my time. If I wanted to force the mirror around by hand you could do this without even opening the door, FWIW.
kevm14

Re: 04 E55 AMG: Side mirror adjustment motor

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:15 am Unlike the pass side there is a harness plug rather than just two heater connectors. Is this an auto-dimming side mirror?? It may be - I'll have to check my options again.
I guess it is, at least the driver's side is. The passenger side just seems to have heater wires so I don't see how it could dim. But yeah the driver's side must be electrochromic like a rearview mirror (most of my past cars have had this actually). There must be a sensor in the glass, or, maybe it just dims with the rear view.

Code 249
249 INSIDE AND OUTSIDE MIRROR AUTOMATIC DIMMING
kevm14

Re: 04 E55 AMG: Side mirror adjustment motor

Post by kevm14 »

This appears to have solved the issue.

Hilariously it seems the STS pass mirror is suffering from a related malady and would tilt down in reverse but not back. It kept getting lower and lower. I reset it a number of times and it started working but I wonder if this is from all the sitting. Replacement of the motor will be much more involved than the E55. I probably won't bother as I can always just turn off the auto tilt down if it becomes intolerable.