SRX tie rod

It's pronounced "chassy." Brakes, suspension...things that make the car fun or a death trap
kevm14

SRX tie rod

Post by kevm14 »

"Failed" inspection last weekend. Needs a right outer tie-rod. This wasn't a surprise I just didn't realize how bad it had gotten. I ordered it, $46 for an AC Delco professional. It just arrived.

My prediction:
Oh I forgot about the tie rod. I didn't do the job yet and I will make a separate thread for it. But I will put my predictions here.

I already know the part itself cost me $50.

As for labor, it is a very simple job. The highlights that would take any time at all are as follows:
- Measure from a good reference point before I disconnect everything so I know where to set the new tie rod so the steering is at least in the ball park for my short drive to the shop (for tires, an alignment and inspection). Or I could just do the tape measure method on the front and rear tire tread.
- Loosening the jamb nut/adjuster to prepare for removing the tie rod
- Pulling the tie rod stud from the steering spindle - I don't know if I have the exact right puller but I think I will manage with what I have

I predict it will take me 1.5 hours for everything. 2 tops if something fights me. Quicker than the license plate bulb, hilariously.
The plan is to do the tie rod first thing Sat morning and then make my 10am at Tire Pros. They will do the new tires, an alignment and complete the RI inspection.
kevm14

Re: SRX tie rod

Post by kevm14 »

I was going to do this without so much as looking at any manual. I just got up so I thought I should just skim the FSM. Simple job- didn't need to look at it. Here it is.
Attachments
2008 SRX outer tie rod replacement.pdf
(678.73 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Well that was easy.

Took about an hour and that includes time to jack up, pull the wheel, torque lug nuts, etc.

I will post pics when I get home.

For now I will say that I counted turns per the manual and came out with 21.5. I installed the same number of turns and this is how the steering wheel looks driving straight:
WP_20170325_09_58_42_Pro.jpg
Not bad, eh?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Rough steps to replace tie rod:
- Jack up car
- Remove wheel
- Loosen jamb nut on end of tie rod. You will have to hold back on the tie rod itself. I used a pipe wrench with an extension bar. You only need to loosen the jamb nut a thread or two.
- Loosen tie rod stud nut.
- Remove tie rod stud from steering knuckle. I just bashed on the end of the stud a few times with my mini-sledge and it popped right out. No need for a puller or ridiculous pickle fork drama.
- Unthread tie-rod from inner tie rod, counting the turns. I counted 21.5.

That's it.

On reinstallation, there was one small difference. Instead of holding back on the tie rod when tightening the jamb nut, I had to hold back on the inner tie rod with an adjustable wrench. This was really easy. One odd thing: the jamb nut and tie rod nut were both 1mm larger sizes than the OEM. Weird.
WP_20170325_08_51_51_Pro.jpg
WP_20170325_08_51_58_Pro.jpg
WP_20170325_08_52_06_Pro.jpg
Look at that long steering knuckle and all the fancy aluminum.
WP_20170325_08_52_20_Pro.jpg
See the little round nub on the right on the upper control arm near the bushing? That is where the MR shock sensors go to measure suspension motion. This car does not have F55.
WP_20170325_08_52_32_Pro.jpg
Jamb nut loose and stud out of the knuckle.
WP_20170325_08_56_21_Pro.jpg
What's this? My AC Delco Professional replacement is actually greasable. This seemed cool until I realized now the car has a single greasable joint, which seems kind of dumb.
WP_20170325_09_01_39_Pro.jpg
New tie rod installed.
WP_20170325_09_17_25_Pro.jpg
So that's it. This nicely offset the stupid license plate bulb job.
Bob

Post by Bob »

How bad was the old tie rod? Did it have noticeable free play when you took it out?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Yes. Only in a specific position though.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Oh god, I just remembered that this was greasable. I have never greased it past the initial installation.

I think I put my high moly stuff in it, too. Ugh. Well I better grease that with something...and thanks to the 20s I might be able to reach it either through the wheel or around the inside. lol

But now you know why I might actually not want a greasable joint on my STS (because if it's not a B-body or a truck I never think about lube during an oil change). And given that this tie rod was AC Delco Professional, I may end up with a greasable lower BJ on my STS regardless of which brand I choose.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote:Well I better grease that with something...and thanks to the 20s I might be able to reach it either through the wheel or around the inside. lol
I wasn't kidding. Easily reached through the wheel to grease the outer tie rod. And they say 20s have no functional value...
DSCF3749.JPG
DSCF3750.JPG
DSCF3751.JPG
Gave it 3 pumps or so.