05 STS needs rear brakes

It's pronounced "chassy." Brakes, suspension...things that make the car fun or a death trap
kevm14

Re: 05 STS needs rear brakes

Post by kevm14 »

One commute in. Brakes felt ok. Maybe a little better than usual.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Couple things. I don't really feel any dragging. The feel seems to very slowly improving, though it will take a front service to really make a significant difference I think. There is still a squealing. I can't tell if it is the front or rear and I can only hear it with the windows down (so it's fine!). Could very well be the left rear since I baked the pads a couple times before they were even broken in. Hopefully it is the front and I'll get to it when it comes time to do those pads. Or do my caliper bracket and pins job and lube everything (and then need new calipers when I do pads next time, because le sigh).

Finally shipped my core returns. I threw the new brackets in there since we are talking about $120 worth of core.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote: There is still a squealing. I can't tell if it is the front or rear and I can only hear it with the windows down (so it's fine!). Could very well be the left rear since I baked the pads a couple times before they were even broken in. Hopefully it is the front and I'll get to it when it comes time to do those pads. Or do my caliper bracket and pins job and lube everything (and then need new calipers when I do pads next time, because le sigh).
Jamie helped identify the squealing. She thinks it is the front left. At least it's not the rear...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote:Finally shipped my core returns. I threw the new brackets in there since we are talking about $120 worth of core.
Got my core back. $122.36 which includes the tax I paid on the core charge originally. So in the end, I paid $103.61 for two reman calipers, and $167.58 for pads, rotors, slide pins and boots, bringing the total rear brake job to $265.19. I am including tax and shipping and the 5% discount. Ok, there was also a quart of brake fluid I had to buy. I forgot what that cost. Plus I "had" to drive the CTS-V while the STS sat for that week.