05 STS front brakes

It's pronounced "chassy." Brakes, suspension...things that make the car fun or a death trap
kevm14

05 STS front brakes

Post by kevm14 »

So I already have new pins, boots and caliper brackets...somewhere. All I've been holding out on is the pads. As of June 2017, there was tons of meat on both inner and outer (pictures in the "Brake feel quest" thread). Given the squealing I am thinking the left front inner pad may be spanked. I am just going to order Hawk HPS front pads. I have put 14k on the car since purchase and the front pads and rotors were done by the previous owner. I forget when and at what mileage, but have those records somewhere. Maybe in my general STS thread.

https://www.amazon.com/Hawk-Performance ... automotive

A little pricey at $88 but I know I like these pads from my CTS-V and Caprice.

Anyway, based on my recent SRX experience, I want to get to this before an inner pad eats the rotor and I have to do rotors. I am not planning on doing rotors this go-round. It may also be that rotor rust has built up and is rubbing on the pad clips. I will probably wait until I have pads on hand before checking so I can just do the brakes if it is needed.
kevm14

Re: 05 STS front brakes

Post by kevm14 »

Shit, there is also this:
https://www.amazon.com/Hawk-Performance ... HB467Z.540

Tirerack said HB467Z.540. Which is the link above. They are also $115.60.
PC- Performance Ceramic brake compound
Increased stopping power
Ultra-low dust
Stable friction output
Extended pad life
What I ordered was HB467F.540. Which is the link in the previous post.
HPS - High Performance Street brake compound
Increased stopping power
Gentle on rotors
Virtually noise-free
High friction/torque hot or cold
Amazon says both are compatible. I wonder what the difference is. Wondering if it is the compound. I know the dimensions/application is correct.

Hawk info on HB467F.540 which I ordered: http://www.hawkperformance.com/performa ... /hb467f540
Pad Description: 
Designed to and from the track without requiring a brake pad change
Wide temp range
Controllable torque
Smooth feel and bite
2004 CADILLAC SRX NO SUBMODEL (2004)
2004 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE GXP (2004)
2004 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE GXP #N/A (2004)
2004 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE GXP ALL (2004)
2005 CADILLAC SRX NO SUBMODEL (2005)
2005 CADILLAC STS PERFORMANCE BRAKES ALL (2005)
2005 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE GXP (2005)
2005 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE GXP #N/A (2005)
2005 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE GXP ALL (2005)
2006 CADILLAC CTS SPORT SUSPENSION; EXCEPT CTS-V (2006)
2006 CADILLAC SRX NO SUBMODEL (2006)
2006 CADILLAC STS V PERFORMANCE BRAKES; JE5 ALL (2006)
2007 CADILLAC CTS SPORT SUSPENSION; EXCEPT CTS-V (2007)
2007 CADILLAC SRX NO SUBMODEL (2007)
2007 CADILLAC STS V PERFORMANCE BRAKES; JE5 ALL (2007)
2008 CADILLAC SRX NO SUBMODEL (2008)
2008 CADILLAC STS V PERFORMANCE BRAKES; JE5 ALL (2008)
2009 CADILLAC SRX NO SUBMODEL (2009)

Hawk info on HB467Z.540: http://www.hawkperformance.com/performa ... /hb467z540
Pad Description: 
- Extremely quiet–engineered to reduce brake NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness)
- Increased stopping power
- Increased rotor life
- Extended pad life
- Ultra-low dust
- Stable friction output
- Ideal for import and domestic sports cars and luxury cars, sport trucks, vans and SUVs with light towing and hauling duty
2004 CADILLAC SRX NO SUBMODEL (2004)
2004 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE GXP (2004)
2004 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE GXP #N/A (2004)
2004 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE GXP ALL (2004)
2005 CADILLAC SRX NO SUBMODEL (2005)
2005 CADILLAC STS PERFORMANCE BRAKES ALL (2005)
2005 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE GXP (2005)
2005 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE GXP #N/A (2005)
2005 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE GXP ALL (2005)
2006 CADILLAC CTS SPORT SUSPENSION; EXCEPT CTS-V (2006)
2006 CADILLAC SRX NO SUBMODEL (2006)
2006 CADILLAC STS V PERFORMANCE BRAKES; JE5 ALL (2006)
2007 CADILLAC CTS SPORT SUSPENSION; EXCEPT CTS-V (2007)
2007 CADILLAC SRX NO SUBMODEL (2007)
2007 CADILLAC STS V PERFORMANCE BRAKES; JE5 ALL (2007)
2008 CADILLAC SRX NO SUBMODEL (2008)
2008 CADILLAC STS V PERFORMANCE BRAKES; JE5 ALL (2008)
2009 CADILLAC SRX NO SUBMODEL (2009)
Going by this, I'd say the Z is probably engineered more for SRX duty (exact same JE5 braking system) and the F compound is, well, what I actually want, and what I thought the HPS was supposed to be. It is weird there is an F and Z sub-model of Hawk pads for JE5 brakes (EDIT: no it's not, one is "HPS", the other is "CERAMIC"). Depending on how the HPS pads work out on my STS, I may switch to them on the SRX when that is next required (hopefully at least another 27k).
This picture is identical on both:
HB467_0.gif
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Look at this!! I was right - it is the compound.

http://www.hawkperformance.com/street-p ... pplication

The F is the actual "HPS." The Z code is "Ceramic." How about that. I ordered the right thing.

F code:
HPS
100°- 500° optimal range
100°- 700° min/max temp
LOW torque
High friction/ torque hot or cold
Gentle on rotors
Provides consistent and controllable torque through temperature ranges compared to stock pads
Virtually noise free
Z code:
CERAMIC
100°- 450º optimal range
100°- 650° min/max temp
LOW torque
High friction/ torque hot or cold
Gentle on rotors
Low dust output
Virtually noise free
My simple translation is the F code provides a little better performance under hard usage, in exchange for more dust, than the Z code pads. This is what I want.

Glad to know this.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I can confirm that the Hawk HPS pads on my Caprice are HB131F.595, which is the F code. Cool. I think the Z-code should not technically come up as HPS. HPS = F in other words. And looking back at all the links and info, the Z does not list itself as HPS. It lists as "CERAMIC" just like it should. Ok, so that all makes sense.

Fun fact: HPS stands for High Performance Street.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I think I will be happy with these. Just realized it is not prime. It is free, but like a week. So next weekend will be the earliest opportunity. Maybe I should at least see if I can jam my finger into the caliper window and feel the inner pad for any friction material. If the backing plate is almost touching the rotor, I should probably park the car so I don't toast these rotors.

After I find my caliper brackets, pins and boots, I will need to ensure that I am able to properly bed/burnish the HPS pads into my existing rotors. Other than that, I don't anticipate any issues at all. Unless that right front caliper starts seriously dragging...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Got my pads yesterday. Now I need to dig up the pins, boots and caliper brackets that I got months ago.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Aaaaand...I forgot to order pad clips and boots. RockAuto conveniently sells both as a hardware kit. Of course no one locally stocks it, either. Except maybe a dealer....hmmmm.

Nope.

Ordered this: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 942&jsn=21

Another week I wait...wish I checked stock before...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Wow, delivery today despite the cheapest 1st class shipping (it was $2.99). That is what happens a lot of the time with their local (NY) warehouse.

Actually depending on my schedule tomorrow (have to be home for paint color selection around noon), I might be able to squeeze in an afternoon front brake job.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Got this done this afternoon. Got a late start (maybe 2:15pm) and when you include a trip to the parts store, the test drive, and resetting TPMS, I just finished at 7pm. Here we go.
DSCF3546.JPG
So how were the driver's side pads? Actually...not totally spanked. Frankly not even technically due. Neither pad was down to the wear indicator, which means all the noise was from the rust on the rotor rubbing on the goddamn pad clips, which is exactly why I let the SRX get so bad. Sigh. It doesn't even look that unevenly worn!
DSCF3547.JPG
So given the significant rust ridge on the rotor, these rotors must have some wear on them, right? Wrong, and I have the proof. This looks like 1.268". What is the spec for a brand new rotor? According to my FSM, 1.267". That's right. I would wager that pad material deposition accounts for the small increase over a new rotor. But the point is, there was zero rotor wear. To prove it, I easily knocked off the outer rust with a wire wheel and occasional chisel use, and the rust ridge completely disappeared. It is actual growth. Anyway, min thickness is 1.209" which is only 58 thousandths. If you machined 0.020" per side on a lathe, you'd use up damn near all the spec, and that is assuming the rotor had no wear. Obviously the pads that were on my car were very easy on rotors but rotors can obviously wear down.
DSCF3548.JPG
Reman brackets, new pins, new clips, new pads. Built it all up in the vice. I am not sure these new brackets are any better than my old ones in terms of pin slop so I am certainly holding onto my old ones. I probably could have just cleaned them up but used new everything else. I ordered them back when I was sure that the caliper was rattling in the bracket. I am not so sure that was happening now. I do think that a successful pad job probably does include a thorough cleaning and relubricating of the pins with new clips AND new boots. Yes, new boots.
DSCF3549.JPG
New pads on the rotor.
DSCF3550.JPG
DSCF3551.JPG
Oh, the rotor came off with just my hands.

I used the Hawk grease on the back of the pads. Says it helps stop brake noise.
DSCF3552.JPG
DSCF3553.JPG
Driver's side done. About an hour and 10 minutes.
DSCF3554.JPG
DSCF3555.JPG
Passenger side. More worn but still good and again more evenly worn than the SRX, and I did the last brake job on the SRX and not on the STS....hmm.
DSCF3556.JPG
Micrometer said 1.269" or basically identical to the driver's side rotor.
DSCF3557.JPG
DSCF3558.JPG
Pads in new bracket and stuff...
DSCF3559.JPG
DSCF3560.JPG
DSCF3561.JPG
So what was the parts store trip all about? Well one lug nut was sort of starting to fail. I could barely get the socket on it. Herb Chambers in Warwick didn't stock them and also wanted $9/ea. Napa ended up having something at least close to the factory, but still not the same so I will probably order some. Some of the extra time was due to an accident in North Kingstown...figures.

And how was the road test then? Pretty good overall. Biggest challenge with reusing rotors with different pads is bedding them properly. I did a light bedding routine but nothing elaborate at all. The brake pedal is not that firm yet but I think as the pads mate to the rotors, the pedal will slowly improve. I can say the bite is already MUCH better. I can tell this is going to be great, and I'm sure they aren't even fully broken in.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Forgot to mention from last night that I did the roll/neutral test and I felt no drag from the brakes. The caliper pistons seemed harder to push in than the SRX though (they are 3 years older...).

Also the brake pedal feel is already beginning to improve. I REALLY REALLY like these pads. They just generate so much more brake torque and have a better feel than the other pads. The car actually feels like it has brakes now, rather than the mushy baloney it had before. I wonder if it had AC Delco pads. They obviously were super easy on the rotors, and probably had minimal dust compared to these HPS pads (luxury car people can be annoying about brake dust), but I don't care about any of that - I want brake performance. Now I'm just mad that they don't make rear pads.

My plan on the continuous bedding process is just to generally use the brakes normally and maybe occasionally stop more firmly to help the process along. Eventually the old pad material will be gone and the rotors will take their new surface condition and any pad material that needs to be transferred. But again, it is ALREADY way way way better. This is my favorite street pad. They already were, but they have done a lot of good for the STS. I could see using them on the SRX. It needs even more help with the 20s and heavier weight, though the pedal in that car is firmer with less dead travel (at the moment).