04 E55 AMG: Brake fluid flush

It's pronounced "chassy." Brakes, suspension...things that make the car fun or a death trap
kevm14

04 E55 AMG: Brake fluid flush

Post by kevm14 »

This needs to be done every 2 years. Also, it has the whole SBC thing so the brakes are extra complicated. As a result DIY bleeding/flushing is cumbersome at best and ineffective at worst. Not great. Also I recently had a thought that I could run into issues with that SBC warranty (should the need ever arise) if the failure can in any way be pegged to insufficient brake fluid maintenance. It would suck if I couldn't prove that I had flushed the brakes. Also, according to the records, the SBC pump was done in October 2014 along with the brake fluid (in classic German car form, about 3 months after he bought it). Granted mileage was only 118k so only 13k ago but as Mercedes correctly shows, it's really more a function of time not mileage. So if that's really true, it is quite overdue. I'm sure mine isn't the only one to have lax brake fluid changes but still doesn't seem ideal.

So with that, I'm going to do it myself.

Just kidding.

I called Mercedes-Benz of Warwick and they get like $185 all in for the job. They have the fancy computer and probably do this all the time. Plus, this will actually be logged in my service history. Other benefits include making sure Mercedes knows I own this car for any future recalls/campaigns. Speaking of, they'll also look at the sunroof recall which apparently actually takes an hour to determine if there is a bonding issue and if so I guess I would need a new sunroof? My car may not be effected which is fine and then they can close the open recall which is also good.

I'm going for the full experience so I am dropping it off Monday morning and getting a loaner.

I may get bold and actually ask what they think about fluid changes and the SBC warranty. They are a dealer so their answer would most likely be "service the car here, please" which doesn't tell me anything. I suppose the burden would be on Mercedes to prove that a future SBC failure was solely (or a heavy contributor) the fault of insufficient brake fluid changes. Then, I guess the burden would be on me to prove that it had been done. In a DIY setting I'm not sure what evidence would be good enough. Written records and brake fluid receipts?

At least as long as I have that SBC warranty (it's currently 25 years and I'd think that's the last extension, so I guess until 2029), I might make it a habit to have this done every 2 years...

EDIT: Warranty in service date is 4/21/04 so the coverage is through 4/21/29 (or 4/20? lol). I might not even have the car that long....but I digress.

Word is it may also improve general brake feel so I am curious about that. I think the brake feel is meh so that would be welcomed. It is a little amusing that computer controlled brakes have brake feel that is at all related to the mechanical/hydraulic system performance but I think it is linked. Besides, I wouldn't necessarily want the computer to hide an issue by making the pedal feel exactly the same even if there is air in the system and stuff like that.

OK that's enough on that - I will update after my drop off experience (and my loaner) and again on pickup, and then the road test. And any conversation of interest that occurs along the way. I will say the service receptionist was very patient and polite.
Adam

Re: 04 E55 AMG: Brake fluid flush

Post by Adam »

Other benefits include making sure Mercedes knows I own this car for any future recalls/campaigns.
They already have access to that information via the DMV.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Well, shit. Now they know twice.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Finally getting around to posting this.

The service advisor and loaner guy were both interested in the car. Basically the rare stuff is what interests them. They see expensive cars all day. But a nice W211 E55 rolling in is not that common. We chatted about various things. The SA started looking at the options on his computer and rattled off some stuff and was like "this is a pretty well optioned one." Why yes it is, save for a few items it is missing. One of them, the loaner guy, actually asked where I bought the car. Evidently he was in the market and ended up in like a CL65 a week before this was posted but saw it pop up a week later. He remembered it so yeah, it's a small world for AMG buying I guess. He did also say he actually looked at that black 06 in CT that I saw and said it was a turd. It had some rust and had some mechanical issues. Also he said the seller was a jerk. It's funny because I was kind of kicking myself for not being able to look at it. Funny how things worked out.

The SA drives like a 2016 E350 so nothing too exciting. He also said BMW gives better incentives to work there as far as discounts on vehicles. He tended to think Mercedes builds the better car overall, which seems to check out as I become more informed.

They put me in a boring GLA250 loaner, 2020. It was fine. Actually drove better than I expected. Good steering. 7 speed DCT. 2.0L turbo which was uninspiring but had acceptable power. Space was small. This is an affordable Mercedes and I can see the appeal for like young urban professionals or empty nesters. Actually I think it handled better than my E55. It's only 3,5xx lbs after all.

They had to keep it overnight. I was driving around with Ian in the GLA250 loaner when they called. I already paired it to my phone. I did try Android Auto and I'll add some stuff later though it doesn't belong in this thread.

Anyway, got the car back, told them not to wash it, everything was done, the sunroof recall (it passed, doesn't need a new one) and the brake fluid flush. No upsells or anything. It cost exactly what they said it would. The brakes do feel a little tighter and more responsive. Mission success.