05 STS: Seized front right shock??

It's pronounced "chassy." Brakes, suspension...things that make the car fun or a death trap
kevm14

05 STS: Seized front right shock??

Post by kevm14 »

Remember that leaky shock 3-1/2 years ago? Well it seems to be seized now. I'm sure all the sitting did not do it any favors. I just took it out to run an errand and the ride felt very strange. I finally was able to peg it as a seized shock but couldn't figure out which one. Finally as I was pulling into my driveway I used that bump to test the front and rear end. Appeared to be the front right. I got home and tried bouncing the front and rear end. Yeah, front right pretty much doesn't move. Great!

I can get AC Delco new front MR shocks for about $780 shipped w/ discount from Rockauto. So guess I'm adding shocks to the job when I do the lower control arms. Then the front suspension will be....well basically all new. I haven't ordered yet because I want to jack up that corner and see what it does. I am not real hopeful that it will miraculously repair itself.

For what it's worth, AC Delco FE1 front shocks are still $272.79/ea. Sure that saves $200 but sure has hell isn't like....$60/ea or something. I'll take the MR. Also I believe the front shocks to be original, so 15 years and 155k. That is more than sufficient.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 44&jsn=475

Previous reading on the forum taught me that this is in fact an MR shock failure mode. To be continued...
kevm14

Re: 05 STS: Seized front right shock??

Post by kevm14 »

I just jacked it up. It extended but seemed to have quite a bit of friction as it did so. It also doesn't seem to compress past the static ride height even when I let the jack down hard or try to bounce that corner. So...it's failed.

Amazon is about $10 cheaper. I'd rather order from Rockauto. I always worry about counterfeit items on Amazon for stuff like this. Though I'm not sure a counterfeit even exists for these shocks.
kevm14

Re: 05 STS: Seized front right shock??

Post by kevm14 »

I tackled the shocks and lower control arms today but I'll just put the shock part in this thread I guess.

My plan was basically to do the shocks first, and then the lower control arms. I started on the driver's side. Mostly it was the same exact process as when I did the upper control arms. The only difference is I also loosened and removed the pinch bolt that holds the shock yoke to the shock. This is a similar style as many FWD struts. Removing the yoke also makes it easier to pull the shock out from all the stuff in the way.

Then I brought the shock module over to my vice so I could fit up the spring compressors.
20201011_115821.jpg
Just checking out the position of the upper spring cushion. I don't know that the absolute clocking matters, or just the relative clocking between the upper and lower. It's pretty obvious when you look at it.
20201011_115845.jpg
20201011_115851.jpg
The spring compressor part was sketchy because when it was all tightened down, the long bolts seemed to be really bent. Imagine those snapping. Also I used my impact gun to tighten them. I understand this is not recommended but I had no issues. Just some wincing. Once the spring is compressed you remove the special nut that is just for retaining the plug on top. Then the main nut. There is also a large dished washer and the new shocks came with these 3 pieces of hardware. Just pull the shock and spring out of the module, then pull the shock out of the spring (still compressed).

Quickly get the new shock out, slip it into the spring, slip the protective boot back on, and start the nut. Once you get a few turns of the shock nut you can breathe a little easier since the spring is at least retained. Get the spring clocked right with the upper and lower mounts and then loosen each spring compressor evenly until it's fully loose.

Not really too hard. Again at this point the only difference is I had to reconnect the yoke. This is where I then did the lower control arm but I'll save that for the other thread.
20201011_123946.jpg
20201011_123956.jpg
Passenger side shock was definitely shot. It had fluid all over the rod.

This part of the evolution went fine. More in the other thread.