04 E55 AMG: Front end clunk

It's pronounced "chassy." Brakes, suspension...things that make the car fun or a death trap
kevm14

Re: 04 E55 AMG: Front end clunk

Post by kevm14 »

Added a washer to pass side to drop it a bit. I measured 26.75" on both fronts. Then I drove it and came back. Front left still at 26.75". I think the passenger side was at 27". I could always try another thin washer if I wanted to be super precise.

Unfortunately now I need another alignment. And I think I am going to ask for a camber bolt for the passenger side control arm. He claims he had them but I wonder if I'd be better off to just buy one for $20 and bring it.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 3180&jsn=3

EDIT: Added a thin washer to the pass side. Driver's side now at 26.5" and passenger side 26.375". The rears are close at 26" pass and 26.125" driver's. I will measure a few more times and if I don't like the results I pull off the thin washer again. At this point this won't effect the alignment; this is all close enough to align. I can't believe I brought it in with a slammed left front and didn't notice.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Got it aligned again. We tried the Moog camber bolt but no dice. It was unclear how to use it and it may be that the control arm bushing did not have the proper pins. I mean I looked at it and all I saw was this like vestigial bump but not what I assumed was welded metal dowels. Nothing like that. So we ended up putting the stock bolt back and pulling the control arm as far inboard as possible. This.....ended up with the same issue. Too much negative camber at the right front. 90 minutes kind of for nothing BUT it did require another toe alignment due to the improper ride height from before. Actually when he first pulled it on the rack the right front actually looked almost reasonable. But I figured it was a fluke. And in fact it seemed to be. Frustrating.
20210508_143353.jpg
20210508_134000.jpg
20210508_134011.jpg
20210508_143349.jpg
20210508_180542.jpg
Oddly even with the left front up at the right height the camber is now out of spec. Maybe because the car was actually leaning. I don't know. But essentially this was a lot of screwing around and then a 4 wheel toe alignment. Hey at least they didn't charge me again.

Look at that caster. 10 degrees. Why did it increase? Who knows. Why did the rear get more negative camber after? Who knows. Air ride changing ride heights as he was doing stuff? Who knows.

Well at least it seems to drive properly. Steering wheel is almost centered. I didn't take it on the highway to check though. I guess this will have to do until I figure out the whole camber situation.

It's annoying. I had convinced myself that this camber bolt was the answer. I don't know. I could try the Mercedes dealer and see if they can actually give me an explanation if they are unable to do anything. Probably not worth it as I'll pay whatever that costs ($120? more?) and get the same result.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I don't know what to make of this but after driving the car on a twisty local road the pull to the left seems to be almost gone. It's actually tracking nicer. Wtf? Guess I shouldn't complain. Maybe the car needs a nice curvy road blast to maintain the alignment. It makes me wonder if it's tire related though.

Either way it's improved to the point where I'd just drive it like this to NC. Which is quite a small miracle.