04 E55 AMG: Adjust parking brake

It's pronounced "chassy." Brakes, suspension...things that make the car fun or a death trap
kevm14

04 E55 AMG: Adjust parking brake

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:10 pm Here's a list of stuff for my NC trip:
[X]- Adjust parking brake to make sure it is not dragging
Turns out it was too tight and did need adjustment. I have attached the instructions but I skipped the slack adjuster part. I didn't even locate it. But I did do the other steps. Those crafty Germans made this very easy to adjust the shoes. In fact if you have a W211 with steel wheels (god forbid) you can do it THROUGH the wheel, after removing a single lug bolt. With alloys they recommend you remove the wheel both because the thickness of the wheel makes it hard to pry with a screw driver and just to avoid the risk of wheel damage. So I removed mine.

And yeah, it's super easy. I could easily see the adjustment wheel through a lug bolt hole in the rotor/hub. I simply tightened until it stopped and I couldn't turn the rotor. Then I backed off 10 clicks of the wheel. Did that on both sides. That's it. The pedal now goes to the first major click and feels like about 30 lbs just like the spec says. I believe it was, in fact, too tight before. I have not driven it yet but I have reason to believe that it should be smoother at 75+ now. Nice!
Attachments
W211 release parking brake slack adjuster.pdf
(69.81 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
W211 parking brake slack adjuster.pdf
(71.82 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
W211 parking brake adjustment.pdf
(198.01 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
W211 parking brake pedal version check.pdf
(186.93 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
kevm14

Re: 04 E55 AMG: Adjust parking brake

Post by kevm14 »

Seems smoother. All it needs now is new tires. This is going to be a real pleasure to drive down to NC.