2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon Gets TransBrake

Car/truck/automotive news and discussion
bill25

2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon Gets TransBrake

Post by bill25 »

Dodge just raised the bar for drag racing:

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-dod ... 11DC622ADB

Stock trans brake. Has this ever been done in a factory car before?
kevm14

Re: 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon Gets TransBrake

Post by kevm14 »

No.

I don't find this significant, because I don't care about drag racing and I don't care about drag racing with a factory vehicle (specifically, other factory vehicles already provide all the drag racing capability I'd ever need). I care about the numbers but only from the translation to street performance. You are NEVER going to use the trans brake on anything other than a prepared track (and appropriate tires), because you simply do not have the traction to benefit from it.

If I wanted to go drag racing, I am going to build a Sloppy car. It is strange to me to imagine a demographic of buyer who wants to buy a factory drag racing car and actually use it for that, and they have like no ability to build something. I just don't know who that person is, unless they just buy it for bragging rights.

What's next, release the car with "factory DOT drag radials?" Will that be the next "breakthrough?"

It is technically no different than the other automakers chasing road course laps. I just don't care about drag racing so I am biased. Plenty of vehicles already exist where the drivetrain is stout enough to handle drag racing, and Sloppy himself has run well into the 9s (maybe 8s) with no trans brake. I see more PR than utility.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

It is strange to me to imagine a demographic of buyer who wants to buy a factory drag racing car and actually use it for that, and they have like no ability to build something.
My guess is older people that want to relive their younger days but may not be physically up to wrenching anymore. Plus they will be the only ones that can afford it. I think it is cool that you can get it from the factory anyway.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

It is cool - however, in my experience, road course features are more usable on the street than drag racing features. Compliant but firm suspensions. Big brakes. Neutral handling. With enough power, these cars also already provide all the straight line thrills I would need on the street.

If we assume that most people aren't drag racing or road racing at a track, then I am saying road course features do more for me on the street. I am serious - you cannot benefit from the trans brake on the street. There is already more than enough power for the rear tires to go up in smoke by just flooring the gas.

If you DO go to the track, then that's different. I just think it is more about the fantasy of driving a car around with all that hardware, than actually using it. And again on the road course side, it's is more than just a fantasy - there are tangible street benefits.