05 STS serpentine belts

It's your engine, transmission, driveline
kevm14

05 STS serpentine belts

Post by kevm14 »

This car has a dual belt system like a lot of modern vehicles. On this one, a regular belt drives just the alternator. Yes, it even has its own tensioner. This belt sits behind....well, everything, including the main belt.

The main belt is a fancy dual ribbed belt and drives the rest of the accessories.

As belts go, this job was pretty crappy. I know I told Bill you must do it from the bottom. Nope, all from the top. I could do it again faster but there is nothing like this kind of job on my Caprice to make you appreciate a simple vehicle. Seriously.

Don't forget the before pic for belt routing.
WP_20170630_17_17_14_Pro.jpg
Approximate steps I took:
- To properly get at the main belt tensioner, I had to remove the air intake and air filter housing
- To be able to actually get the belt off the car, I had to remove the 3 bolts holding the mechanical fan bearing support to the block and pull it back toward the radiator. The lower left bolt (in the picture) was fairly miserable. I have cuts and scrapes from the plastic fan blades from this job on my arms.
WP_20170630_17_17_00_Pro.jpg
- Release tension on the main belt tensioner and finagle the belt between the pulley and the driver's side cylinder head (because of course)
- Remove belt and pull around the fan support arms as necessary, as it is still sitting there

As for the alternator belt, I had a lot of fun with that one, too. The issue was....the whole thing.
- Screw around and try to figure out how I am supposed to get a 3/8" ratchet at this tensioner which sits low and behind coolant hoses and pull it enough to release the belt. This took time and various tools.
- Pull off belt.

Installation was even worse. I managed to get a cheater bar on my 3/8" ratchet and wedge it against the water pump pulley so it would hold, while I screwed around trying to get the belt around the crank pulley and around the alternator. This was quite difficult as you know why (everything is tight). Eventually I got it.

Installation of the main belt was alright, not fast, but I got it.

Oh, the dual ribbed belt looked really good to me. The alternator belt did not. I am sure I could have gotten another 50k out of these, and maybe more out of the main one so whatever. Now they should be good for a long time.

Side note about the mechanical fan: it has 3 drive pins on the crank pulley and a bearing. The support is aluminum.

Other side note: I rolled into the coolant job after this but if this was it, I'd put the fan support back. On the V03 cars, there is a lower radiator hose support bracket that goes under that lower left bolt I complained about, making reassembly even more tricky. I figured it out but it took a while (can you see the trend yet?).
bill25

Re: 05 STS serpentine belts

Post by bill25 »

Based on all of this... I definitely don't want one of these unless it was for a hotrod, and my intention was to take all of this crap out and be left with a "simple" LS" setup... I don't think I want this complication for a daily driver.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I don't blame you. I am happy with it but it's not for everyone. This job wasn't the worst really - the coolant change really pissed me off though.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Also none of what I did was really a repair. It was maintenance to prevent failure down the road.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

If it helps, it looks like a water pump would be pretty damn easy on this car. I assumed it would be impossible. It's probably easier than a vast number of FWD cars.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I think the biggest sin of this car (and I guess platform, and I will include Alpha, too) is for the size and weight, the packaging is not that great. In other words, for all the weight, length and width of this platform, none of it somehow translates to trunk space, rear seat legroom (or really front seat legroom), under hood space, etc. Is it all taken up by stiff structure? Maybe.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Yeah. I mean, I might end up with an Alpha if I am lucky, but probably not for a long time... I don't blame you for getting the STS, and I think you fully knew what you were getting in to. I just don't have a connection to that platform to want to put that kind of effort. This is something that is strictly based on preferences. I like the car, but not enough to deal with all that. The Camaro, or Monte would be different.