Maxima vacuum hose fun

It's your engine, transmission, driveline
kevm14

Maxima vacuum hose fun

Post by kevm14 »

I did an oil change. While doing that, I noticed that it's actually leaking oil out of many different places. Remembering that I never changed the PCV, I decided to change it. While doing that, I mangled the short hose so I had to replace that.

The PCV goes into the rear valve cover on the driver's side (to the left of the TB in the picture, with the blue collar).
S7302518.JPG
Then I noticed the nipple on the purge flow control valve solenoid was broken (the small nipple). I had fixed this as the rubber was split when I first did the O2 sensor at my parents' house.
purge valve control solenoid_arrow.jpg
Then I realized I should replace the bigger hoses that go in and out of this valve. I also failed at gluing this nipple. Nissan is the only supplier and it was a crazy $70 with shipping. Sigh.

Close-up of the valve.
S7302520.JPG
The hoses I did replace:
purge valve control solenoid hose replacements_arrows.jpg
Of course the impetus for all of this was the mystery startup problem. I figured I should replace sketchy looking hoses but I don't think these were leaking (except the broken nipple, but that one isn't a real vacuum leak).
kevm14

Re: Maxima vacuum hose fun

Post by kevm14 »

Check engine light is on, I guess as expected (the valve). Annoyingly I just noticed I could have gotten a used one on eBay for half the price of a new one. Not sure why I didn't check. The used evap control solenoid has been working perfectly.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Look at that Stillen FSTB! I had forgotten about that. Is that the only mod on the car?

What was the start up issue?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

My brother complained of a startup issue, then when I got the car, I cleaned a bunch of stuff, and never ultimately was able to replicate the problem.

Then one day I realized it is not supposed to idle at 850-900rpm (and was harder to stall than I remember) so I looked in the manual. Sure enough 625 +/- like 50 rpm is actually where it is supposed to idle in neutral. I have a thread on this actually. Long story short, I lowered the idle by cranking down on this screw but I think I'm thinking a vacuum leak or something. Sometimes on cold start it idle flares then dies, unless I add throttle, then it's fine after like 5 seconds.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Is the screw to adjust idle?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Bob wrote:Is the screw to adjust idle?
http://forums.kevinallenmoore.com/viewt ... p?f=4&t=35

There's the whole thread on it...it's a bypass air screw built into the IACV. Seems totally unnecessary to me...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

All done.
S7302525.JPG
Here's the P/N of the valve. 14931.
S7302526.JPG
For reference, it threw a P1447, "Evap Purge Flow." This is a Nissan-specific code.
S7302527.JPG
I reset it so I think I'm all set now.