Onedrive storage

Non-car discussion, now for everyone
kevm14

Onedrive storage

Post by kevm14 »

My 100GB upgrade with Microsoft Rewards Points runs out in Feb, after all this time. I have 140GB total now which would go down to 40GB. I am using 55GB. So....

I see no more offers to trade any of my points for Onedrive space, which is too bad, as I have 40,000+ points.

There are only two options and they both cost money.

A) Office 365 Personal with 1TB storage (also access to the newest Office applications) for $70/yr which isn't too bad really. This is kind of two options because the other choice is an Office 365 Home subscription which is the same but for up to 5 users and 5 PCs, and each user gets the 1TB. That costs $100/yr which is also pretty reasonable.

B) Upgrade my 15GB plan to 50GB (which I guess would add 35GB to what I have now) for $2/mo. That should give me 75GB or 20GB of headroom at current usage. That's probably what I will be forced to do in Feb. I may spring for the 1TB when that remaining headroom is eaten up, if there are no other options and if there is never another space upgrade for MS reward points. There probably won't be...

You might ask what I use this for. First, integration with Windows is very good. Second, my phone uploads all photos and videos to onedrive automatically. Third, I use it for misc file storage/sharing and also photo sharing from my dSLR. Like I said, I have 55GB up there currently.
kevm14

Re: Onedrive storage

Post by kevm14 »

Well I am like a week out from losing my free 100GB. So I just subscribed to 50GB extra for $2/mo. If that doesn't cut it, my only other option with Onedrive at this point is Office 365 Personal which gives me 1TB for $5.83/mo (billed annually). 20x the storage for less than 3x the price...I see which one they want me to go for.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I got a lot of mileage out of that apparently. About 13 months in fact.

But, I was down to 400MB remaining free space of my 75GB and it was time to do something. I bought a personal subscription to Office 365. Now I have 1TB of storage. Cost was $69.99 + tax = $74.89. I had been paying $2.13/mo (w/ tax) for 50GB. Now I am paying $6.24/mo for 1TB. Seems like a better deal - 20x the storage for 3x the cost. And with my 50Mbit upload, I can actually back some serious stuff up if I wanted to. This is good. Offsite and synchronized/accessible wherever I want.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Here are some benefits of an Office 365 subscription that I just learned about:
https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... n-US&ad=US

The interesting ones to me are:
- E-mail encryption and forward-prevention (i.e. prevent someone from forwarding sensitive info)
- Ransomware detection and recovery

More info on encryption:

More info on the ransomware stuff:

The ransomware one is specifically for when your cloud files get infected (or like I guess if ransomware takes over your computer, and thus your replicated OneDrive files, which get synchronized with encryption that you don't have a key for). But this just means that you are protected against losing files that you have backed up to OneDrive, increasing the incentive to do that (and they give you 1TB).