2020 Ford Mustang GT500

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

Re: 2020 Ford Mustang GT500

Post by kevm14 »

I realize this isn't local but I'd travel for this all day (and it would take all day) if I was in the market.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

2017 Camaro ZL1, manual. 17,536 miles. $45,993. Believe it. Mustang? What Mustang?

And if that car is too far, or too manual, I offer this much closer black CPO 2017 ZL1 w/ 10-speed, and 24k for $48,500.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... =spotlight

Seriously, what Mustang are you going to buy that's better than this for anywhere near this price? There isn't one.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3027 ... 147&src=nl

Regarding the dealer....to quote Gene Hackman in Enemy of the State (1998): You're either incredibly smart, or incredibly stupid.

Nice Camaro shout-out:
There are many cars we'd buy for $170,000, and these include an Aston Martin Vantage, Nissan GT-R, a well-optioned Porsche 911 GT3, or even two of the better-performing Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LEs. Don't get us wrong, we're fans of the new GT500, which launched to 60 mph in 3.6 seconds in our testing, but we wouldn't stretch our pockets this far for one.
However, in this case I think better performing means 0-60 and nothing else. That said, I want to see a comparison. I think the Mustang is going to win that, sadly. It probably performs AND rides better.

BUT, not all is lost, because, as usual, I think GM will continue to have the advantage on the used market. I mean, until they stop making them...
bill25

Post by bill25 »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos-s ... spartanntp

I should post this on the spaceship Corvette forum too. :)
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Yes, the most expensive Mustang ever made, the one with the most power you can possibly get, is faster than the base C8 with Z51 which is the least powerful C8 that will be made. It has an additional 265 HP. Actually the 0-60 is slower. Slower 1/4 mile ET. Even the 0-100 isn't faster. 45-65 is barely faster. Worse figure 8 time.

Pobst wrote it. Here's the source article.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrol ... rison/amp/

The only reason the prices are even close is because they ran a 3LT. The 1LT still has a far nicer interior than the Mustang and with Z51 it's under $70k.

For the $95k the top GT500 costs you will be able to get a Z06 which will absolutely rip it a new asshole, based on how close the base C8 w/ Z51 is to a 760 hp Mustang.

Still though, it seems like Ford really pulled it together. All of the Shelby GT cars are good to drive.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/mu ... 0E165E96CA

The car is still good but it still suffers from lack of traction syndrome. I mean this has been a topic of high powered RWD cars for years, including GM's switch to a mid-engine platform for the C8. We're not going to pretend that it's not an issue all of a sudden.

The regular 4,149 lb, $74k base/$81k as tested GT500 did the following:
QUARTER MILE 11.5 sec @ 129.6 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 100 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION 1.01 g (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT 24.1 sec @ 0.85 g (avg)
3.3-MI ROAD COURSE LAP 1:59.68 sec
The "R," with its 4,054 lbs, otherwise known as CFTP (I'll call it the TP package for short), $92k base/$94k as tested did the following:
QUARTER MILE 11.3 sec @ 131.6 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 94 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION 1.05 g (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT 23.5 sec @ 0.89 g (avg)
3.3-MI ROAD COURSE LAP 1:56.30 sec
Now let us read.
Unlike, say, the 2020 Corvette's programming of its Tremec dual-clutch transmission that smoothly and effectively engages its clutch for an optimal launch, once the GT500's brakes are released, its clutch engages rapidly, almost like sidestepping a clutch pedal. Next, that rev limiter goes away, and now you're at wide-open throttle with 760 hp under your right foot. Burnouts? You betcha, and you don't even need to use the programmed line-lock feature.
It doesn't even have real launch control. That's pretty lame for the price and considering the traction issues that it has.

What we need is the C&D 5-60 time to understand what a throttle shove at 5mph does vs all these trial and error attempts that you'll never pull off on a regular crappy street.
Even with traction control engaged, there's simply too much wheelspin to afford representative 0-60 or quarter-mile times. It's all in the launch. I tried lowering the target engine rpm, but then the car bogged. I tried launching at something less than wide-open throttle, but then the launch control criteria were not met, and the car does a lazy street start. I tried shutting off both launch and traction controls to see if I could select a two-pedal rpm myself, but the car only allows 1,000 rpm max under those conditions. Like I do in a Hellcat, I tried launching in second gear, but the car wouldn't allow it. I tried all the tricks in my test driver's kit but one. After the fact, MT's Scott Evans asked if I had tried pulling both paddles simultaneously and revving the engine then releasing said paddles. He reminded me that doing this in the 2020 Corvette allows it to rev to an rpm of your choice in "neutral" then slamming the clutch. "Dang it," I said, "I forgot they both had Tremecs. I'll have to try that next time."
Not surprisingly, these results are slightly slower than the similarly powered but lighter 2019 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 and more in line with the 2018 Camaro ZL1 that has a similar weight-to-power value and tire setup. These are among the most challenging and rewarding rear-wheel-driven cars on the planet on a drag strip. To go any faster, you'd need all-wheel drive or an actual, self-regulating launch control system.
On the other hand, if I bought a C6 ZR1 for $50k, a GT500 is not going to show me tail lights. That would be very satisfying to do in a 10 year old Corvette.

Sounds....manageable. Not really.
Unlike Randy's assessment of how planted, predictable, and pointable the GT500 was on the high-speed Full Course at VIR—especially when equipped with the aero- and track-optimized Track Pack—our figure-eight-meister Kim Reynolds said, "Both of these GT500s are about as crazy as a car has ever felt around the figure eight. They have several times more power than handling. The base GT500? Maybe four times. The Track Pack? Maybe three times. They're literally half out of control every second of the lap. Repeatedly I had wheelspin from corner exit to braking—it never stopped trying to walk around on me. Fun, but a heck of a lot of work!" He concluded with, "This is one fast SOB. The roar and thrust when you finally have the wiliness to go full throttle from circle to circle is like being in the middle of a thunderstorm."
There is this.
Yet, besides the optional and excellent Recaro front seats, and rear seat delete and carbon-fiber trim with the Track pack, you'd be hard-pressed to see any differences between a GT500's interior and that of a rental car, and that is a shame. It's such a special car, and that should've been reflected inside, as well. The plastic dash, door panels, shift paddles, the gauges, console, and switch gear are the same as in an ordinary Mustang GT. That said, the configurable 12.0-inch color instrument panel is easy to read and operate, including Track Apps. The optional Technology package includes a first-rate 12-speaker Bang & Olufsen sound system and voice-activated touchscreen navigation system. There's nothing wrong with any of this, but how about a different interior color palette, some leather panels or dash pad, and unique gauges? There are Ram trucks that feel more special inside than the GT500.