M/T: New Ford Bronco and Ranger may get solid front axles

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

Re: M/T: New Ford Bronco and Ranger may get solid front axles

Post by kevm14 »

Somewhere in the middle the Bronco was going to be a unibody crossover right? Well I guess that changed. This says body on frame.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3043 ... nl19121350

I'm still sick of retro vehicles though.

This sort of vaguely reminds me of the Toyota FJ. Which came and went.
In a departure from Jeep's approach, Ford is envisioning the Bronco as more of a high-speed desert runner than a low-speed rock crawler (though the Bronco R race truck failed to finish the Baja 1000 this past November). This means the Bronco won't adopt an old-school live axle up front like the Wrangler and will instead have a long-travel independent suspension. The rear will be a live-axle setup with leaf springs, and both axle designs will be supplied by Dana. We expect the most hardcore Bronco will offer electronic anti-roll-bar disconnects and borrow the locking rear differential from the Ranger Raptor (not sold in the U.S.) and possibly the Torsen limited-slip front diff from the F-150 Raptor.
Pretty uninteresting powertrains, particularly the base.
If any element of the new Bronco is primed to piss off traditionalists, it's the turbocharged 2.3-liter inline-four that will serve as the base engine. Either that or the rumored hybrid powertrain that Ford may put in the Bronco. While die-hards won't be truly satisfied with anything less than a naturally aspirated V-8, we think most people will be just fine settling for this mill's 270-ish horsepower and 310-ish pound-feet of torque. If that's not good enough, a twin-turbo 2.7-liter V-6 will be optional, likely increasing those numbers to around 325 horsepower and 400 pound-feet.
It's not that the power or drivability will be bad. But what are we doing with this retro design if there isn't a V8? That's one argument anyway.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Who knows what is going on... Apparently Hummer is being brought back with an electric powertrain... as rumored anyway.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Wait, what? I missed that, too.