07 S550: auto shoulder belt adjustment fix

Fuzzy dice or LED bulbs are not a repair
kevm14

07 S550: auto shoulder belt adjustment fix

Post by kevm14 »

I forgot this was even a feature. That's actually the meme with cars like this. "A feature I didn't even know about doesn't work." When you move the seats forward and backward, the head rest electrically adjusts to scale with the assumed height of the front occupant, and the shoulder belt height does the same. The shoulder belt height is actually locked to the seat position so the Germans assume you'll sit in the "correct" place (not way too far back or way too far forward). Well I saw a thread somewhere that there is a steel cable that just hooks onto the seat rail and pulls back to raise the shoulder belt height. And the metal clip commonly falls off. I checked the driver's seat and the shoulder belt thing moves with the seat. Sweet. Checked the passenger seat. Stuck in lowest position! Oh noes!

Here's what it looks like under there.
20211206_151533.jpg

The job is basically to clip the thing in the red circle onto the thing in the green circle. But this is easier said than done.
20211206_151533~2.jpg

I had to move the seat forward so I could reach the cable clip since it is on a spring that pulls it back. Then once I grabbed the cable I had to hold it with vice grips while I moved the seat back and up so I could actually get my hand near the place it is supposed to clip (green circle). Basically just finagling and, again, it wasn't easy, but I got it clipped on. We'll see if it stays. Works now at least.