99 Dodge Ram: parasitic draw

Wiring, DIY, lighting, etc.
kevm14

99 Dodge Ram: parasitic draw

Post by kevm14 »

I think I've been dealing with this for years. Finally decided to dig into this, because my Bluetooth transmitter told me the battery was like 11.6V after sitting for a week. Again, this is not new but I've been sort of ignoring it and also wondering if my short weekly trip is just not enough to charge the battery.

Well, no. There is a ~300mA draw.

Checked underhood fuses. Nothing. Checked fuses in driver's side dash fuse box. There is a fuse in a special plastic holder labeled I.O.D. When I pull that fuse, the draw goes away. But the plastic holder prevents the fuse from coming out all the way. It's like it was designed for the fuse to be pulled out but not fall out. Weird right? And when I plug the fuse back in I hear the CD player make noises so I was thinking....oh, it's the radio.

But first, what is IOD and what's on the circuit?
20220430_115453.jpg
20220430_115222.jpg
20220430_115218.jpg

Well this is hilarious. IOD stands for Ignition Off Draw. This is something I think Chrysler started doing in the 90s. Basically they put stuff that had a small current draw on this fuse and it is designed to be removed while the vehicle is in transit/storage. Insert your jokes here.

Ok, so disconnecting the IOD fuse stops the draw....now what? Clearly the draw is more than it's supposed to be. Of the many things on the circuit, what could the issue be?

Research led me pretty straight away to this seatbelt control module/timer thing. Evidently this was through 99 but not beyond. Probably because it was stupid. I don't know if this is a rollover sensor or crash sensor or what. But I can tell you when it is disconnected, the seat belts lock. Also, when I was playing around with the module I could hear the seat belt lock solenoids firing and intermittently locking. If it's a rollover sensor type thing then maybe this is normal. Sounds like something is rolling around inside. I think it is also supposed to have some 30 minute timer and I guess what happens is the drain is caused when it doesn't "shut off" after 30 minutes, which mine appears to be doing. I did disconnect and the battery draw goes to near zero.

Diagnosis of my module aside, this is apparently a common cause of both drains and locked seat belts. I did not have a seat belt issue but DO have a drain. So I need to replace it.
20220501_095254_HDR.jpg

Of course OEM, this thing is long discontinued. So my only hope is used, or perhaps someone actually repairs these somehow.

Here's a used one for $125 plus shipping: https://www.ebay.com/itm/334399223383?e ... SwvRpiUw~X

Kinda pricey considering it's just a used part and this is a common issue.

And yes I could literally just pull that IOD fuse out, as it was intended, when I plan to let the truck sit a week. But this resets some things and I guess I just don't like this solution.
kevm14

Re: 99 Dodge Ram: parasitic draw

Post by kevm14 »

Alright so that 30 minute timer is actually for the seat belt lock solenoids. Basically when you open a door it allows you to operate the seat belts. After closing the doors, and after 30 minutes, it is supposed to shut off. So what could be happening is it never shuts off the seat belt lock solenoids. Or I guess I could call them unlock solenoids.

I am going to test this. We'll see if that's what is happening.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

It seemed to shut down after 30 mins. Both front seat belts were locked and I saw less than 50mA draw. So if this happens again I'll reflow the solder for the pins on the PCB.

As I was manipulating the module (actually, at the plug) I heard the solenoids clicking so maybe there is a loose connection somewhere inside the module.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

It also occurred to me that I was originally measuring the draw before that 30 minute timer was supposed to complete. So I'm not sure I have any real evidence of that module causing an unintentional draw. I don't like how pressing on the plug was causing clicking at the seat belts though so that could still be a clue. I charged the battery again so I'll run it for a few more weeks and see what the situation is.

The proper way to do this is to find a draw after that 30 minute sleep period elapses. And when I did that this weekend, there was no obvious draw. Whether I fixed anything by removing and replacing the module, I am not sure.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Well I don't know what's happening. Started it, went to transfer station, got home, waited 30 mins for that module to go to sleep (verified that it was drawing 300-400 mA before going to sleep), and I don't see any draw.

Voltage was 12.77 so I guess I'll check it in a week or whatever. 12.77 is more or less fully charged.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

It was like 12.5 after sitting for a week. I still think something is up but I don't see anything amiss. I used my Fluke inline again for current and the sleeping current draw is like 30 mA with spikes to 40 or 45 every couple of seconds. That sounds very normal to me.

The only other thing I can really do is just disconnect the battery entirely and see if there is any measurable decrease in resting voltage after sitting for a week.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Might need something from this guy: https://www.martinloren.com/hscope/
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:13 pm The only other thing I can really do is just disconnect the battery entirely and see if there is any measurable decrease in resting voltage after sitting for a week.
There is not. It's not the battery. I charged the battery and after a week of sitting in cold, the voltage is like 12.9. So there is a parasitic draw. Annoying.