GM wins second trial over ignition switch

Car/truck/automotive news and discussion
kevm14

GM wins second trial over ignition switch

Post by kevm14 »

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/gm ... dailydrive
GM, which recalled millions of vehicles over the flaw in 2014, admitted using defective ignition switches for years and hiding it from customers and regulators. But the company is challenging suits that it believes wrongfully blame the flaw for crashes, injuries and deaths.
This is a longer article than I expected and it goes into some detail. But the point is what I quoted above. How many lawyers do you think would love to get their clients (thus themselves) a settlement for an accident, even if it had nothing to do with the ignition problem?
The first bellwether, selected by the plaintiffs, ended in embarrassment for their lawyers, who are among the best-known attorneys in the industry. That trial ended abruptly midstream when GM revealed evidence that the plaintiffs, an Oklahoma couple, had lied under oath and wrongfully blamed GM for the family’s eviction from their “dream house.”

Plaintiffs in all the cases allege GM endangered drivers and passengers by delaying the recall of defective vehicles. Due to a weakness in the design of ignition switches, jostled keys or a bump from a knee could shut off the engine, disable power steering, power brakes and airbags and leave occupants nearly helpless as vehicles careen out of control.
I don't want to make excuses but it is still worth remembering that despite sounding like the car becomes a ballistic projectile, you actually still have steering and brakes. It's not good (still don't understand why the airbags don't work with the ignition key off - perhaps the true design flaw here), but it's not exactly something that is impossible to control, either.
Adam

Re: GM wins second trial over ignition switch

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote: I don't want to make excuses but it is still worth remembering that despite sounding like the car becomes a ballistic projectile, you actually still have steering and brakes. It's not good (still don't understand why the airbags don't work with the ignition key off - perhaps the true design flaw here), but it's not exactly something that is impossible to control, either.
Probably due to the modern lack of driving experience from doing donuts in parking lots. This used to be a driver training thing. Someone's parents would take them to some open parking lot and teach the young driver how to control the vehicle with limited traction. I've even heard of removing the P/S belt to learn how to control the car in that case (back when belt failure happened all the time).

I didn't get that from my parent's or driving instructors, I took it upon myself to shred tires in parking lots. Also when it snowed. Which it used to all the time in NH winters.
bill25

Re: GM wins second trial over ignition switch

Post by bill25 »

Stop it. We can't have fun anymore, even if it is educational...