Caprice fans don't work

Wiring, DIY, lighting, etc.
Fast_Ed

Re: Caprice fans don't work

Post by Fast_Ed »

kevm14 wrote: or a high A/C condenser pressure. If it comes on "a lot" with A/C use then I'd suggest your mechanical fan isn't doing that great of a job.
I have no idea if it comes on that often. I have not really spent the time idling the car and looking at it. But I thought the secondary fan turned on whenever the AC was on. Does the main then stay on the whole time the AC is on? My mechanical fan has a thermo clutch, but who knows what temperature they are set to...

kevm14 wrote: I know the relay situation would require delving back into but I would have a hard time recommending something aftermarket when your stock PCM will already do it. Maybe you can make the kit yourself for far less?
I'm sure I could, and it may have to be custom in order to work for my poor car anyways. However, this approach would take almost zero thought, and not much time. And once it's in, I can use WOT without the radiator flopping into the mechanical fan or whatever.

Drove the car to New London yesterday to make sure it had miles on it before reinspection. It still does that thing at WOT.

$45 to fix it with this fan controller and the caprice fan and shroud in my garage, or ~$50 shipped for a new shroud that would hold the rad in place better. Or $100 for the innovative kit, and I have to figure out what's going on with the AC fuse....
kevm14

Re: Caprice fans don't work

Post by kevm14 »

Fast_Ed wrote:I have no idea if it comes on that often. I have not really spent the time idling the car and looking at it. But I thought the secondary fan turned on whenever the AC was on. Does the main then stay on the whole time the AC is on? My mechanical fan has a thermo clutch, but who knows what temperature they are set to.......
The primary comes on with demanded A/C and the secondary is a backup, with a higher temp and A/C pressure threshold.
Fast_Ed wrote:I'm sure I could, and it may have to be custom in order to work for my poor car anyways. However, this approach would take almost zero thought, and not much time. And once it's in, I can use WOT without the radiator flopping into the mechanical fan or whatever.

Drove the car to New London yesterday to make sure it had miles on it before reinspection. It still does that thing at WOT.

$45 to fix it with this fan controller and the caprice fan and shroud in my garage, or ~$50 shipped for a new shroud that would hold the rad in place better. Or $100 for the innovative kit, and I have to figure out what's going on with the AC fuse....
Yeah. I would suggest an external relay but technically the controller comes with a 25A relay.