CLK550/E550 hunt for Adam

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

Re: CLK550/E550 hunt for Adam

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:36 am Things left to do for me:
[X]- Visually confirm P/N on coolant circ pump but I think the 203 one is correct.
- If I have a chance maybe put it on my Quick Jacks and have a looksie underneath. Or wait for Adam to come and do it with him. This could generate additional items.

Things that would be left for Adam (aside from anything I didn't get to above):
- Fresh tank of 93 octane + a Techron treatment
- Replace hood struts
- Change oil (it might be pretty fresh but it's unknown)
- BRAKE FLUID FLUSH. And inspect brakes specifically for issues.
- Change thermostat
- Replace coolant pump
- Change coolant
- Probably replace oil cooler and gaskets. I believe that's the cause of the oil schmoo on it and underneath.
- Reattach right fog light which may require buying new/used parts but need to inspect first
- Continue to investigate airbag module issues. Not sure if it would be as simple as an eBay module swap or what. The real concern is whether you have a functioning airbag system - you know, for safety. The light works and does not stay on. The module has comms. But the code says replace module.
Big update on everything shown above. I will go line by line.

- After the coolant flush and fill, the coolant pump just started working. I'm really surprised but this is great.

- We put it on the Quick Jacks and had a pretty detailed look around. Overall very good condition! Suspension, chassis, exhaust - everything looks good. There is a gas smell from the rear left (at least when it was up in the air). It seemed to shut off the gas pump prematurely when Adam was filling so those may be related. Solution: use it more and see what develops (either small or CEL, or it's fixed forever). The oil cooler repair will probably cure the only real oil leak it seems to have. It made a huge mess on the lower front of the engine, A/C compressor, subframe and underbody covers. We cleaned up what we could.

- Fresh tank of 93, check. Techron, pending.

- Hood struts, check! Thank God.

- Oil change, 9 quarts Pennzoil Euro 0W-40. New drain plug and I donated a sealing washer.

- Brake flush, check. Visual inspection revealed that, honestly, all pads and rotors look pretty serviceable. I think the car sat and developed a crappy area on the rotors. It may also have substandard pads. But, the more it is driven the better it seems to get. I did not get a chance to drive the car after the brake flush to see if the pedal feel improved. It needs rear brake hoses, so I think Adam is going to track down a quality set of stainless braided all around. This will help, too.

- Thermostat changed. It was a little tight in there but nothing too hard. Old one had some failing rubber which would have contributed to an inability to restrict coolant flow in certain conditions. So it was due. My S550 is probably also due but I'll get to that some other time.
20240601_132209.jpg
- As I said above, the coolant pump is now functioning. The front SAM was able to actuate it and we felt it run. The code is gone, too.

- Coolant change and vacuum fill complete. That was satisfying. The pressure tank is probably still pretty contaminated with goo.

- Oil cooler, oil cooler gaskets and oil filter housing gaskets to timing cover all new. This was definitely causing all the oil mess.
20240601_140554.jpg
20240601_140604.jpg
- For the right fog light, it is oddly missing all of the mounting/aiming bracketry. So Adam will buy the cheapest used OEM one on eBay, and I think I found the P/Ns of the mounting bolts and clip nuts. We'll see, but that should be all it needs. Fun fact: low beams, high beams and fogs all take the same 55W H7 bulb. I have never seen this before and would have said it was impossible. He will need the fogs to work because the low beams are compromised.
20240601_112500.jpg
20240601_112510.jpg
20240601_112633.jpg
- I can't remember if I posted this but I got rid of the airbag codes with the Launch tool last week. It did some unlock function in the SRS module and allowed the stored codes to be cleared.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Adam

Post by Adam »

[ ] Disable TeleAid.

Apparently you can do this through STAR. This is the "old" cellular connectivity. I can have the dealer replace it with the new supported thing, or disable it. I choose the latter.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Oh that's just coding. I can do that with the Launch tool.

https://www.autonumen.com/blog/teleaid- ... 0emergency.
Disable TeleAid SOS Malfunction Warning using Mercedes Benz Star Diagnostic

Using Star Diagnostic you will need to change TeleAid coding from PRESENT to NOT PRESENT. By using these instructions you understand that TeleAid will not be available in case of an emergency.

* Model 203, 209, 210 C CLK E Class: In Star Diagnosis:Control Units –> Information and communication –> ICM – Instrument cluster with maintenance interval display –> Troubleshooting by means of complaints or symptoms –> Messages from the emergency call system are displayed in the instrument cluster.
Adam

Post by Adam »

The Internet says the 950.35001 fits the front, but the 950.35500 doesn't fit the rear (CLK350 only?). Regular replacement parts show the same rear hose for both the 350 and 550, so I'm probably good? Ordering now, I found both parts from the same seller, so I'll get them at the same time and with 5% off!
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:36 am Things left to do for me:
[X]- Poke around to see if I can code tire pressures to read on the cluster but it does not appear that any CLK system was able to do this so unless this cluster is a W211 part number (which is possible), then there wouldn't be a way to code it in. Coded some stuff but going to wait for Adam to get the two new rear sensors installed and see what happens. I may have to code back to stock but if we are super lucky it will start displaying tire pressures in the cluster.
[X]- Maybe rubber cement the subwoofer spider?

Things that would be left for Adam (aside from anything I didn't get to above):
[X]- Replace two rear TPMS to get the light out and I think this (and the hood struts just out of sheer courtesy) is all it will need to pass inspection
- Take it in for sunroof recall. Cross fingers and toes that it has an issue and that the fix gives you a new sunroof. Probably not likely?
- Barring winning the lottery on the sunroof recall, see if you feel like dealing with the opening issue. Probably have to pull headliner down to inspect. It tilts fine. I could look up how the system actually works but it seems like only one cable is pulling or they are pulling unevenly.
[X]- Change transmission fluid and filter
[X]- Reattach right fog light which may require buying new/used parts but need to inspect first (waiting for parts)
[ ]- Install battery/HVAC area foam piece
Gave up on the TPMS experiment. Coded the cluster back to the way it should be and it's at least working as designed. My theory is it would need a different TPC module and then perhaps it would send the right messages (tire pressures) to the cluster. I can fiddle some more in EPC to see if there was a different module for the CLK at least. I was thinking maybe a later W211 module could work.

Adam says the subwoofer still rattles at lower volumes. So I guess it needs more rubber cement. This is a tough one because of how the spider was totally disconnected all the way around, unlike my S550 where it was easy to repair one section and then add some backup glue to the rest of it.

Some shop replaced the bad TPMS sensor at the rear and that is working properly now.

We did transmission fluid, pan and filter. Used all 8 quarts and drained it back to what it should be. The fluid was discolored but was still somewhat transparent so not too bad. I think this car has a torque converter drain but it is seemingly impossible to bar the engine around without removing the cooling fan first. Can't get a socket on the crank bolt because the fan is in the way. I don't think removing the fan is that difficult but it was more than we had planned for. He can just do fluid again prior to the 40k interval it calls for (like 20k) and that's probably sufficient.

Fog light is repaired. Grabbed the bracket and screws from an eBay fog light and it's good. However, the fitment is different than the other side. Also the other side is all sand blasted. The right one was clearly not original so maybe it's the odd one out. It's not that noticeable unless you are looking for it. The driver's side one just sits more forward/flush in the bezel. Function seems about the same at least.

That foam piece that is missing was superseded by a number that gives you a one piece strip rather than just the foam ramp thing. Good news: it's still available.
https://www.mercedesbenzpartsshop.com/o ... I4LTM2LTk4

We also realized that the right seal was not in the right place so we fixed that. And the left one was missing, and the one he bought happened to be correct for that slot, so we fixed both of those.

Missing foam piece (from a BaT car for reference):
Screenshot_20240609_074956_Edge.jpg
Left and right seals in the proper locations (also from BaT car):
Screenshot_20240609_080644_Edge.jpg
Screenshot_20240609_080654_Edge.jpg

I'm going to assume all this stuff got FUBAR when the windshield was replaced, which necessitates removal of the cowl cover. May also explain the wiper arm situation but we'll see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:25 am [X]- Poke around to see if I can code tire pressures to read on the cluster but it does not appear that any CLK system was able to do this so unless this cluster is a W211 part number (which is possible), then there wouldn't be a way to code it in. Coded some stuff but going to wait for Adam to get the two new rear sensors installed and see what happens. I may have to code back to stock but if we are super lucky it will start displaying tire pressures in the cluster.
The RDK module is this: A0025405345

However, it was used to 12/1/07 and then superseded with A0035402745 with the same production date.

Then this was superseded one final time to A0035403945, with a note to update to current software version. All of these are option code 470 which is low line TPMS (implying that it does not display pressures). In Mercedes land, option code 475 is the mid/high line system that displays pressures. I believe my E55 had 475 and displayed pressures.

However, my remaining hope (at least for actual CLK parts) is that the RDK module did display pressures, because coding the cluster for it brought up a new menu option. So tracking down one of these might be worth a shot.

EPC suggests that the 475 system was available on some 209 chassis globally but still looking for more info, aside from the RDK module lead.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:47 am The RDK module is this: A0025405345
This part like....doesn't exist? I did find some FCC information on it. The RDK thread may dead end here.
Adam

Post by Adam »

We also messed around with Tele-Aid and seem to have set the unit to "activated". The warning in the cluster on startup is gone. There were a couple other settings that may also disable it. Will keep an eye on it and pursue those if needed.

Other things:
- There is a GPS receiver in the car - you can see lat/lon through the fancy scan tool. Still doesn't automatically set the clock though.
- Car is coded for Distronic - not because it has it, but rather you also code that if it has the 7-speed auto for some reason.
- Still didn't adjust throttle coding. As I drive the car more, I think I can tell that it's "lazy" on initial input as Kevin's S550 was. I'll continue driving it for a couple more weeks before adjusting that.
- In addition to the missing cowl area seal (ordered the updated one-piece unit for $17), it's also missing both headlight seals. I think this is purely for aero? Conveniently one side is discontinued. I found a NOS one on eBay for that and ordered the other one from the dealer.

I think I'm up to about $150 in seals and clips now, but not too bad. I'm amazed I can source as much new stuff as I've been able to on this 15 year old car, and the pricing isn't terrible.

Still need to get an appointment for the open sunroof campaign.