CLK550/E550 hunt for Adam

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

Re: CLK550/E550 hunt for Adam

Post by kevm14 »

Adam wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:45 am Other things:
- There is a GPS receiver in the car - you can see lat/lon through the fancy scan tool. Still doesn't automatically set the clock though.
I think the COMAND module that you don't have is what would bridge the gap from the GPS receiver to the cluster. Or, that's my assumption on why you still have to set the clock manually. The suffering, the pain! Actually watching (and listening to) the clock spin around endlessly is slightly painful...but it's also charming.
Adam wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:45 am - Car is coded for Distronic - not because it has it, but rather you also code that if it has the 7-speed auto for some reason.
Yeah that is very unintuitive but fortunately DAS provided a little explanation. That was the only thing preventing 7 additional neutrals. Or 6.

Adam wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:45 am - Still didn't adjust throttle coding. As I drive the car more, I think I can tell that it's "lazy" on initial input as Kevin's S550 was. I'll continue driving it for a couple more weeks before adjusting that.
I believe the description is the tip in is VERY gentle. I don't know that it's tremendously laggy, just the mapping of pedal position to throttle opening is very gentle. I don't actually know what will change if we flip those two code values but there's only one way to find out. By melting the rear tires off. Kidding. Probably.

Adam wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:45 am - In addition to the missing cowl area seal (ordered the updated one-piece unit for $17), it's also missing both headlight seals. I think this is purely for aero? Conveniently one side is discontinued. I found a NOS one on eBay for that and ordered the other one from the dealer.
What material is it? I guess I mean color/finish.
Adam wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:45 am I think I'm up to about $150 in seals and clips now, but not too bad. I'm amazed I can source as much new stuff as I've been able to on this 15 year old car, and the pricing isn't terrible.
Yes, that's the novelty. I enjoyed sorting out my E55 pretty much from day 1. S550 needed less, and E63 maybe less still? They got newer and more expensive as I went so I guess this is normal.
Adam wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:45 am Still need to get an appointment for the open sunroof campaign.
Yes, and be sure to get your sweet GLA250 rental like I did. I guess you can go to Viti but I assume they have a similar loaner policy (basically, loaners are available for ANY kind of service, although in theory they could be "out" of them at some point).
Adam

Re: CLK550/E550 hunt for Adam

Post by Adam »

Turns out I don't need to do anything more for the sunroof. If the car passed the first inspection and it's outside of a production window, no further action is needed.

The headlight seals are rubber/plastic. The NOS order was cancelled due to being "out of stock" on the qty 1 the seller listed. I've seen this before on eBay. I purchased from another seller, we'll see what happens