Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200 is dead

Car/truck/automotive news and discussion
kevm14

Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200 is dead

Post by kevm14 »

Discontinuation

On January 27, 2016, Fiat Chrysler announced that it will end production of the Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200 due to the company's decision to redirect its energies towards building Crossover vehicles. A plan to move production from its Belvidere Assembly Plant to Mexico was in the works but later scrapped. Another factor was in how the vehicle was reviewed by Consumer Reports and laying blame on the vehicle's designers, along with declining sales.[44]
Does this matter?
Adam

Re: Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200 is dead

Post by Adam »

No.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Headline should read: "Rental Car Customers Rejoice"
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

The resident Mopar fanboy at work proclaimed that the Dart was superior to the Cruze.

I took that with a grain of salt.
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:The resident Mopar fanboy at work proclaimed that the Dart was superior to the Cruze.

I took that with a grain of salt.
He tried to convince me of that too. I haven't driven either of them, so I have no opinion on the comparison from a vehicle powertrain/dynamics perspective. The Dart/200 seems cheap from the inside (even without comparing it to the Cruze) from sitting in one at the NE International Auto Show.

Have you mentioned to him that Fiat/Chrysler is axing the platform?
Bob

Post by Bob »

I have driven both the 200 and the Cruze, but never a Dart. To be honest, I think the 200 and the Cruze are both middling cars in their respective classes.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

I thought the Cruze was pretty nice. I rented one with many options including leather and moon roof. Without looking at measurements, I would have guessed that the Cruze was a little bigger than the Dart. The 200 and Dart seemed very entry level/cheap. The Cruze has 2 cars smaller in it's brand if that means anything. I would probably have different opinions if I drove a base Cruze but the one I drove seemed pretty nice. Would I buy either of these over a Mazda3, definitely not the 200 or Dart, I would at least test drive the Cruze and 3 back to back before making a decision. I didn't even consider the Cobalt when I bought the 3, so that says something. If they made a RWD or AWD Cruze Sedan or Coupe, preferably Coupe to compete with the RS I would be very interested.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I think the Cruze WAS competitive, and now there is a new one. Most of its competitors have been refreshed as the first gen reached the end of its run. Which is exactly what happens to every car ever made.

By competitive, I mean decent ride/handling (nothing purporting to be sporty but not dull), comfortable, quiet, refined, good NVH, and fairly efficient. Notice I did not say "quick" or "best in class steering feel" or anything like that.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

I will also add, I would enjoy the Cruze over a Corolla or Civic. I still think the 3 is the best driver car in this class. So does Car and Driver for what ever that is worth.