Garden tractor acquisition

Mower trouble? Are 2-cycle engines the bane of your existence?
kevm14

Re: Garden tractor acquisition

Post by kevm14 »

I think it's fair the say the deck is the most rough part of the tractor.

Aside from the rust at the front, I found an interesting issue while doing the belt job.

This plate that supports an idler pulley and a blade pulley was actually cracked. And by cracked I mean broken. The deck had been stressed since the front holes became all of the support for the front of the plate. It warped the sheet metal and also stress cracked in places. I drew where the crack is in white.
Deck plate crack top.jpg
What I did was remove the bolts and nuts, pull the broken piece up away as far as it could go. Then I took my 2.5 lb sledge and smashed the mounting hole areas flat again. I reassembled with decent thickness washers on the bottom (was previously just a shoulder bolt). It seems more rigid and honestly will probably last a long time like this. Welding in the future is possible, theoretically when I fix the rust hole. So, probably never. The metal on this tractor is pretty heavy duty so I'm not that worried.
Deck bottom washers.jpg
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Got the new battery in. I decided to check the charging circuit so I put my multimeter on it. At idle it was like 14.5 volts and climbed to like 16.75V at full speed. That's not good and will bake the new battery. Briggs made like 25 different alternator and charging setups. I think mine has the dual circuit alternator which is AC for the headlights and unregulated DC (2-4 amps) to charge the battery. I don't think I have a voltage regulator.

There was a small ground at the front of the engine. I cleaned that and the terminals for the two things grounded on it. Still seemed messed up. Then I disconnected the harness and probed the AC and DC pin. The AC pin was within spec. You can't really test the DC charging circuit without inserting an ammeter inline and seeing what the current output is. So I plugged that back in. After that, it seemed to return to normal (less than 14V at full speed). I don't know if it's fixed or the problem is intermittent. I will check next time I use it. There isn't much to the system and about the only thing to replace is the stator which requires pulling the flywheel. I could also just ignore it and see how long the battery lasts.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Ok I got a little distracted by Youtube.

Here's what Simplicity was up to around 2006:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vg_nQBemVE

Power steering, engines with oil coolers, tilt wheel, electronic fuel gauge, locking differential. I don't know if this one had electronic deck height adjustment but that became a thing also.

And then in 2014, here's even more ridiculousness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwjhN4ljGSk

An actual tach. Electronic deck height adjustment. Still has the locking differential but takes it a step further with friction clutch style limited slip. And unbelievably, coil over suspension with adjustable shocks. Yeah. Still has the same floating mower deck design as mine.

His demonstration of the "cruise control" actually explains something about Bill's machine (I think the Scotts). The foot pedals normally operate the transmission fully. The hand lever is for setting and maintaining (i.e. "cruise control") forward speed only. Which is why it doesn't have a reverse range.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Option hater Bill will weigh in here.

Power steering, engines with oil coolers, tilt wheel, electronic fuel gauge, locking differential. I don't know if this one had electronic deck height adjustment but that became a thing also.

An actual tach. Electronic deck height adjustment. Still has the locking differential but takes it a step further with friction clutch style limited slip. And unbelievably, coil over suspension with adjustable shocks.
I have never been in a situation where I wished I had power steering. To me that is just ridiculous. More stuff to break or leak. Be a man out there on your lawnmower.

The oil cooler, if necessary, ok fine. Electronic fuel gauge, nice but unnecessary, before I even start either of my machines up, I check oil, and fuel levels. Both tractors have a see through tank where you can clearly see if you need gas while you check your oil. Seems sufficient.

Electronic deck height adjustment - WTF? You set the deck at the highest per the instructions to mow. How hard is that to do once?

Locking differential but takes it a step further with friction clutch style limited slip. - I approve anything that helps with traction. Good for pulling, pushing and hills.

coil over suspension with adjustable shocks - Sounds expensive, and another thing to break, and unnecessary.
His demonstration of the "cruise control" actually explains something about Bill's machine (I think the Scotts). The foot pedals normally operate the transmission fully. The hand lever is for setting and maintaining (i.e. "cruise control") forward speed only. Which is why it doesn't have a reverse range.[/quote]

Yup, that is the Scotts. That sounds completely accurate. I like the Husqvarna better. 1 control, versus the foot and lever.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Yeah I pretty much agree. Reminds me of the evolution of the pickup truck. My machine is an 80s pickup.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Not easy to find prices but here is a used one:

Riding Mower For Sale: 2011 Simplicity CONQUEST

Price: $4,500 USD

Hours: 208 Est Hours
Serial: 2015287208
Stock: W21167

Willmar Minnesota USA
bill25

Post by bill25 »

billgiacheri wrote:Not easy to find prices but here is a used one:

Riding Mower For Sale: 2011 Simplicity CONQUEST

Price: $4,500 USD

Hours: 208 Est Hours
Serial: 2015287208
Stock: W21167

Willmar Minnesota USA

Here is a good breakdown for new:
http://www.lawn-tractor-buyers-guide.co ... ctors.html
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Another data point:

The Craftsman 54-inch Kohler Courage 26-horsepower Gas Powered Riding Garden Tractor retails for $3,479.99

This also has a Tuff Torq hydro trans.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Yesterday I used the tractor and trailer for my landscaping project. It started right up with the new battery after sitting a week. I did forget to check the charging system. I will have to do that next time I use it.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

billgiacheri wrote:I have never been in a situation where I wished I had power steering. To me that is just ridiculous. More stuff to break or leak. Be a man out there on your lawnmower.
Power steering would be nice actually. Not saying it's worth the extra cost or complexity but it would be nice when mowing anything but a big field. Bob has some experience with an early 90s John Deere with power steering (60" deck if I recall). That sounded like a sweet machine.

Oil cooler, yeah, if it is needed, that's fine. Fuel gauge, convenient but mine has a float with dial gauge built into the fuel tank cap. Pretty simple. You cannot see the level. So any kind of fuel level indicator is necessary if you can't see the level. It doesn't need to be electronic.
Electronic deck height adjustment - WTF? You set the deck at the highest per the instructions to mow. How hard is that to do once?
Wait, what? You may mow at different heights for a variety of reasons including: shitty, bumpy terrain (uneven, or maybe protruding rocks or roots), also at the end of the year you may mow at a lower height to make it easier to deal with leaves. I do not think electronic adjustment is necessary though.
Locking differential but takes it a step further with friction clutch style limited slip. - I approve anything that helps with traction. Good for pulling, pushing and hills.
Yeah the locking differential is cool and probably fairly simple. I guess if/when the clutch style limited slip wears out, you still have the locker. Pretty cool.
coil over suspension with adjustable shocks - Sounds expensive, and another thing to break, and unnecessary.
Yes. However, the marketing says it is to allow you to mow over unsmooth terrain at a faster pace, without beating you or the machine up. This does check out though I don't mind just going slower in those cases.